England : Suffolk Ipswich area informal adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Looks like it'll be cold. Guess we'll just have to pedal harder to stay warm! :thumbsup:

SimonJKH

Blue collar cyclist
Well we did it! It was COLD!!!
But I enjoyed it. Riding in company is quite a different experience. I've sometimes come back from my solo rides and felt a bit disappointed. "Is that all I did? I was out there HOURS!!!" Riding with Andrew, it was more a case of "Oh, we're here already!" The time flew by. Thanks again to Andrew for setting this up. Next time you want to put something together, count me in! :bicycle:

mattobrien

Guru
Glad it went well gents, would have loved to have been able to have joined you but have just got back from a week in Devon, sadly without a bike. Next time I go I will take a bike, but my average speed may be down a little, boy do they have some steep hills there and plenty of them!

Let me know when the next ride is planned for and I will see if a pass is on the cards.

And yes, Andrew, do invest in some overshoes, my feet have been positively toasty for a while now and that's without any thermal socks yet.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Glad it went well gents, would have loved to have been able to have joined you but have just got back from a week in Devon, sadly without a bike. Next time I go I will take a bike, but my average speed may be down a little, boy do they have some steep hills there and plenty of them!

Let me know when the next ride is planned for and I will see if a pass is on the cards.

And yes, Andrew, do invest in some overshoes, my feet have been positively toasty for a while now and that's without any thermal socks yet.

I fetched some Gore overshoes and took them for a spin on Friday morning, they made a HUGE difference; just the tips of my toes got cold!

mattobrien

Guru
Check you out with your fancy Gore overshoes :eek: and there's me with my plain old discounted dhb one's :unsure:

I clearly need ot be a little less careful with mine so it will soon be time for an upgrade

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Check you out with your fancy Gore overshoes :eek: and there's me with my plain old discounted dhb one's :unsure:

I clearly need ot be a little less careful with mine so it will soon be time for an upgrade

They were only £25 quid! I made the mistake of shopping while my feet were throbbing cold so was inspired to dig deep when I saw the words 'thermal lining'.

So a few of us have talked about going out for an informal, not too fast, intro to group riding ride around the Ipswich area, possibly with cakes and pies involved.

So how about a ride to Orford and back? Early Sunday mornings work well for me, and as the nights are drawing in (yeeesh) then perhaps evenings are out of the question?

How about Sunday October 28th as a date? Early start so we can be back home for Sunday lunch? It's the last day of summer so it seems fitting somehow.

So far the following members have shown an interest, please add your name if you'd like to join us.

@4F
@SimonJKH
@mattobrien

And I reckon @scilly-suffolk might be interested

Bump, just to get your attention really, no seriously been chatting to 4F and he mentioned that a few of you sometimes ride together and I said it's about time myself and dr_pink came over to Suffolk to do a forum ride. We used to live near Cambridge and I know Suffolk reasonably well but only to cycle around the western end of the county.
Judging from the exploits of yourself and one or two others there on Strava [it's my favourite bed time reading] you sound like a fit bunch so I'll try and get some form back before I come over. Is this a possible plan for a Suffolk Spring ride?
I have a plan to get more forum rides going in areas that don't usually have any, with 20 odd thousand members it ought to be possible. Entirely up to you guys [and girls?] but would love to come and ride some unfamiliar roads.

Given that January is likely to be the coldest, bleakest and for me the most miserable month of the year in England, then any time after that. Do consult with 4F though as he has been over to do 2 of my rides now and a very nice chap he is too! Really though it's entirely up to you, I don't know how many you can muster from that neck of the woods, that could be a challenge in itself. The thing is, unless you are already established in the forum rides it is always a good idea to start the thread rumbling along now and kind of keep it going, tends to give others plenty of time to get involved and build up numbers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
TF, glad we are here for the amusement of your bed time reading :becool: Will have a word with the Suffolk posse and see what dates we can come up for early next year and stick something up in the informal rides. May even see if I can persuade :boxing: some over for a Rutland ride next year ^_^

TF, glad we are here for the amusement of your bed time reading :becool: Will have a word with the Suffolk posse and see what dates we can come up for early next year and stick something up in the informal rides. May even see if I can persuade :boxing: some over for a Rutland ride next year ^_^

Lie a little, tell them it's flat
lol-049.gif
, bet everyone rides fixed over your way

Top Bottom