Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They’ve got a takeaway service - not as good as sitting in, but better than nothing
Did you find my route ok? Not the nicest NCN route ever, but better than the main road :smile:.

Reactions: Dwn

Brandane

Legendary Member
Won't be open until the 26th, unless they have a take away window.
I went for a run on the motorbike today to celebrate our new found freedom. Ended up in Moffat at lunch time. Just about every food place shut, apart from one with a takeaway door, so had a very nice, but far too big for one person, pizza. Of course the fact it was far too big didn't stop me finishing it - and a slab of chocolate orange cake too!
Got home about 3pm and felt like I had been on a 100 mile cycle. Had forgotten how hard it is, physically and mentally, to ride a motorbike. I now know what they mean when talking about motorbike fitness. Previously I never noticed so much because I have been a regular rider for years. Covid put a stop to that. Or maybe I'm just getting too old for it? :ohmy:
Back to the pedalling tomorrow, I think.

Dwn

Did you find my route ok? Not the nicest NCN route ever, but better than the main road :smile:.
I have to confess that I didn’t - I suspect I took a wrong turning at an old stage. At one point I had to drag the bike up an endless set of stairs. Greenock and Port Glasgow are very hilly towns! Normally I go along the main road but the road surface has got worse and the motorised traffic doesn’t seem very tolerant of bikes these days.

Next time I’ll put the route into the satnav; should make it easier.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have to confess that I didn’t - I suspect I took a wrong turning at an old stage. At one point I had to drag the bike up an endless set of stairs. Greenock and Port Glasgow are very hilly towns! Normally I go along the main road but the road surface has got worse and the motorised traffic doesn’t seem very tolerant of bikes these days.

Next time I’ll put the route into the satnav; should make it easier.
As we know, all it takes is one missing/stolen sign, or a parked van obscuring one, and you're lost! Hope you weren't cursing me too much while dragging your bike up those stairs :laugh::laugh:.

Twilkes

Guru
From memory, my description of Inverclyde is 'pointlessly hilly' but that might be because I've usually been cycling all day by the time I get there and just want to get home.

Twilkes

Guru
While the subject is floating around, are there any other good roads in that area I should try? Have travelled along:

* Bishopton to Port Glasgow on Old Greenock Road
* Auchenbothie Road heading to Kilmacolm
* Old Largs Road
* Inverkip via Millhouse Road/Flatterton Road
* Over the B788 (the emerging view of the estuary and mountains before heading down to Greenock is still a highlight)

I know there's some gravel tracks up over Greenock Cut but I don't really have the tyres for that.

Brandane

Legendary Member
While the subject is floating around, are there any other good roads in that area I should try? Have travelled along:

* Old Largs Road
* Over the B788 (the emerging view of the estuary and mountains before heading down to Greenock is still a highlight)

I know there's some gravel tracks up over Greenock Cut but I don't really have the tyres for that.
The best roads in Inverclyde are the ones heading out of it....

Dwn

* Old Largs Road

Some of the views on those roads are wonderful. Personal favourite is Lyle Hill, just at the Free French memorial. The Costa del Clyde at its finest

Anyone going to the Outer Hebrides need to check ferry availability. The Stornoway ferry is out of service until at least the end of April which probably means May. The rejigging of limited available ferries has affected all of the outer Hebrides crossings.
Hopefully the problems with the MV Loch Seaforth will be sorted out this time.

Dwn

This morning my wife and I took the Forth and Clyde canal path down to Bowling, where they are making progress repurposing the old railway bridge as a cycle / walking link to the next stage of the route to Loch Lomond.

Despite having been that way dozens of times over the past twenty years, I had never before noticed that there was an old railway track between the canal and the Clyde. I was on my road bike so didn’t want I leave the canal side, but wondered if anyone has explored that track, and if it connects to The Saltings at Old Kilpatrick? Thinking of taking bike with more appropriate tyres down that way next time.

Twilkes

Guru
Only been to The Saltings once but there was definitely a path heading off in the Bowling direction with some prepared-looking walkers on it, so pretty sure they link up somehow, even if it's not this train line.

Edit - it probably just joins up to the canal path a little further up.

Last edited:

Dwn

It’s hard to be sure from google maps, because of the tree cover but there are hints of a path between the saltings and the (I think) former good station just before the old rail bridge / upper basin.

Top Bottom