Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nearly allowed to go wandering outside our local area :smile:.
I was thinking of going to Arran. A word of warning to anyone else planning ferry trips though, it aint going to be easy! Because of social distancing regs, passenger capacity has been drastically cut. To travel to Arran now, you have to pre book, even as a cyclist or foot passenger. Demand is likely to soar once restrictions are lifted, so book well ahead. Last night I looked at today's sailings, no chance of getting on (as a resident of North Ayrshire I would not be breaking current roolz). Tomorrow the same. Even if you can get across on a stupidly early ferry, the problem is getting back.
The ferry to Rothesay (Bute), or Cumbrae, you cannot pre book. It's a case of turn up and hope for the best. The weather is bound to dictate just how busy those ferries become, but I can see it being chaos in the good weather. Again, getting across is no guarantee of getting back.
So until the lifting of social distancing regs, beware of public transport in general. :sad:
Further to above, it's more bad news for anyone thinking of using the Ardrossan/Brodick ferry. They have taken one of the ferries off that run to use on the Stornoway freight service following the breakdown of the regular Stornoway ferry. So spaces on the Brodick ferry are going to be even harder to book :ohmy:.
Local paper link.

Dwn

Further to above, it's more bad news for anyone thinking of using the Ardrossan/Brodick ferry. They have taken one of the ferries off that run to use on the Stornoway freight service following the breakdown of the regular Stornoway ferry. So spaces on the Brodick ferry are going to be even harder to book :ohmy:.
Local paper link.
I just discovered that today when I tried, and failed, to book an arran crossing for the 4th May. Now going the following week - hopefully!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I just discovered that today when I tried, and failed, to book an arran crossing for the 4th May. Now going the following week - hopefully!
I can see the hills of Arran from my kitchen window. So near, and yet so far! I still hope to get round Arran on the bike this summer, but I don't want to book too far ahead in case the weather doesn't play ball (dry, and a gentle south westerly breeze would be ideal). Short notice travel might not be an option because of the lack of available tickets. Oh well, just need to content myself with Bute for the time being. Not a bad second option 😄.

Twilkes

Guru
I can see the hills of Arran from my kitchen window. So near, and yet so far! I still hope to get round Arran on the bike this summer, but I don't want to book too far ahead in case the weather doesn't play ball (dry, and a gentle south westerly breeze would be ideal). Short notice travel might not be an option because of the lack of available tickets. Oh well, just need to content myself with Bute for the time being. Not a bad second option 😄.

Round the coast from Dunoon and then down past Otter Ferry to Tighnabruaich and Bute is one of my favourite routes, closely followed by Galloway Forest Park, although I'd really need gravel tyres to do that area justice, the main road will do for now though. :smile:

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Round the coast from Dunoon and then down past Otter Ferry to Tighnabruaich and Bute is one of my favourite routes, closely followed by Galloway Forest Park, although I'd really need gravel tyres to do that area justice, the main road will do for now though. :smile:
Galloway forest park is our secret, don't tell the tourists or they will turn it into another North Coast 500! One of my favourite touring routes is Ayr to Newton Stewart via Nic o' the Balloch. Overnight in a B and B then either back to Ayr or east to Dumfries and train home. Or carry on further east to the borders, depending on time available.

Twilkes

Guru
Galloway forest park is our secret, don't tell the tourists or they will turn it into another North Coast 500! One of my favourite touring routes is Ayr to Newton Stewart via Nic o' the Balloch. Overnight in a B and B then either back to Ayr or east to Dumfries and train home. Or carry on further east to the borders, depending on time available.

Yeah the open trapezium of Patna, New Galloway, Newton Stewart and Kirkmichael is a great route, each side almost has its own personality. Just a shame it takes me over 3 hours to get there and the same again when I'm done!

Brandane

Legendary Member
All this chat about Galloway Forest Park! I've been doing a good bit of cycling recently so rewarded myself with a bit of engine assistance today. The road between Girvan and Newton Stewart is one of my favourites on this, especially in ideal weather and very little traffic. Next stop Kirkcudbright!

All this chat about Galloway Forest Park! I've been doing a good bit of cycling recently so rewarded myself with a bit of engine assistance today. The road between Girvan and Newton Stewart is one of my favourites on this, especially in ideal weather and very little traffic. Next stop Kirkcudbright!
View attachment 585476
Kirkcudbright my home town. Haven't been back for nearly two years. Say hello to the old place for me.

Dwn

Local paper link.
It looks like the reduced service to arran has been extended to the 17th May. Single vessel only until then. Hoping my reservation for the 11th holds.

https://www.calmac.co.uk/summer-timetables/ardrossan-brodick

bruce1530

Guru
I have no incentive to do it uphill. I like cycling to Largs - it’s one of my regular routes. But coming out of Largs, I come to the Haylie traffic lights, look to the left, think “it looks awfy steep and busy”, look ahead, think “that’s downhill for a few hundred yards, then flat all the way home...."

Top Bottom