Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Talking of insider knowledge….

Next expedition will probably take me thru Glasgow on a weekday, mid morning.

Will be coming thru Clyde tunnel, then following cycle route signs past kelvingrove, thru park, under gt western road to pick up the f&c canal path at Maryhill

Looking for somewhere bike friendly for a quick pit stop. Nothing fancy, just decent coffee, maybe a bacon roll, outside seating, and toilets!

Any recommendations?

We often go to the Hidden Lane Tea Room in Finnieston (1103 Argyle St). It’s got some outdoor seating and you can usually rest your bike reasonably near your seat (down a lane, so no passing foot traffic).

The website says that it’s closed but we’ve been there twice in the last week. The scones are delicious but they also do breakfasts. Website has a menu.

It’s not directly on your route but a pretty short detour.

Last edited by a moderator:

pjd57

Veteran
Talking of insider knowledge….

Next expedition will probably take me thru Glasgow on a weekday, mid morning.

Will be coming thru Clyde tunnel, then following cycle route signs past kelvingrove, thru park, under gt western road to pick up the f&c canal path at Maryhill

Looking for somewhere bike friendly for a quick pit stop. Nothing fancy, just decent coffee, maybe a bacon roll, outside seating, and toilets!

Any recommendations?

Free Wheel North have a cafe at the Whitehouse . It's right on the towpath beside Maryhill road .
Open Tuesday to Saturday

pjd57

Veteran
Just been looking at the Free Wheel North website. Looks like some great stuff going on there....
Great local charity , does lots of good work.
It's been a big struggle getting the cafes open again , but both are now .
Glasgow Green and the White House.
( I have to add I occasionally work for them )

bruce1530

Guru
The glasgow green one is about 20 mins walk from my office - back in the olden days when we used to go into the office, Glasgow Green and the People’s Palace was a regular lunchtime walk. If we ever get back to those days, I’ll be sure to take a wander down.

What do you do for them?

pjd57

Veteran
The glasgow green one is about 20 mins walk from my office - back in the olden days when we used to go into the office, Glasgow Green and the People’s Palace was a regular lunchtime walk. If we ever get back to those days, I’ll be sure to take a wander down.

What do you do for them?
Help out on the track.
Getting the bikes out , helping people find the right one for them , depending on any specific needs they have.
Keep an eye on the track , then the tricky bit , putting them all away for closing time.

It's usually Thursdays that I work , but help out on others if needed.

Great wee job.

Slick

Guru
Does anyone know if police scotland accept videos of close passes, and if so what's the procedure for doing so?
It's not like it is for our southern cousins but you can submit it to them by email. Contact your local Bobby.

iandg

Legendary Member
Hello All - anyone know what the situation is re bikes on trains from Fort William to Glasgow? One of my boys works in Knoydart and thinking of a tour to visit (see RWGPS) and possibly rough stuff out to Spean Bridge and back to Fort William for train home. Not a definite trip, Just planning at the moment. My window is late July/August which puts me off a bit as it's midge season.

Ride with GPS | Bike Route Planner and Cycling Navigation App

Last edited:

Dwn

snorri

Legendary Member
Does anyone know if police scotland accept videos of close passes, and if so what's the procedure for doing so?
They refuse to accept any close pass reports without video evidence IME, so would hope that they do accept near pass videos.
I would like to have known how many other life threatening incident reports are treated similarly:whistle:.

Top Bottom