Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Upwards and onwards from here; or should that be "andiamohhhhhh".
Oh, yes, andiamoooo! for sure. ^_^
2020: of course, me being in the hospitality trade, I got made redundant.
Never mind, see that I couldn't walk anyway lol.
Now that I can cycle again, I have more job opportunities too: public transport and catering shifts often don't match.
Ah, forgot: the Glasgow Belles have a new format, we need to change our name now because Cycling UK want the name back as we are not affiliated anymore.
Need to change my avatar too.

Slick

Guru
Great news @Pat "5mph" I knew you weren't on the bike but I had no idea about your scare, must have been tough times but your hopefully through the worst and obviously made of strong stuff. Welcome back.:okay:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I'm back on my bike! :hyper:
Guys, I'm so happy!
Back end of May 2020 I injured one of my knees, really badly. It is my stopping leg (the other knee has a ripped cartilage too!).
Was unable to walk without a stick for a good few months, never mind cycling.
Finally I made it back on the bike today, I'm fatter and bike unfit, but I can still ride, signal, and, most important, stop myself without my leg buckling :hyper:
How I have missed my transport: had to strengthen the knee by exercises first, then by taking long walks, but walking is so slow when you've got to go places.

I had stopped commuting in September 2019, because I started a job walking distance from home, but I was still doing quite a few leisure/utilitarian rides.
Then, a couple of month later, during a routine check up, I got diagnosed with a wee (very wee) breast cancer, that required umpteen hospital appointments, a small op, and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.
I did cycle to all my appointments (apart from the op in January 2020, that one required a lift home or no release!), and cycled to all my radiotherapy sessions to the Beatson, a 16 miles round trip, in March/ April 2020, at the beginning of the first lockdown. Just as well I was able to, because I didn't see much public transport about.

I was very proud of myself, then, like a pure numpty, I was doing some forceful digging in the garden and, suddenly, my upper leg went a direction, while my lover leg went another, badly dislocating my knee.
When I finally got to see a physio, I was told I've got Hypermobility of the joints, need to watch that bending and twisting lol.

Anyhow, meantime, they tell me I've also got osteoporosis of the spine (a side effect of the cancer meds I'm on, or just old age, who knows lol): cycling is not recommended, but truly, I couldn't give a hoot :biggrin:
I've got my freedom of movement back :hyper: just wanted to share with you my excitement!
Good to hear, Pat.
If you ever make it through this way, always a cuppa here for you..
Uphill detour from the canal though^_^

DougieAB

Getting the messages
I'm back on my bike! :hyper:
Guys, I'm so happy!
Back end of May 2020 I injured one of my knees, really badly. It is my stopping leg (the other knee has a ripped cartilage too!).
Was unable to walk without a stick for a good few months, never mind cycling.
Finally I made it back on the bike today, I'm fatter and bike unfit, but I can still ride, signal, and, most important, stop myself without my leg buckling :hyper:
How I have missed my transport: had to strengthen the knee by exercises first, then by taking long walks, but walking is so slow when you've got to go places.

I had stopped commuting in September 2019, because I started a job walking distance from home, but I was still doing quite a few leisure/utilitarian rides.
Then, a couple of month later, during a routine check up, I got diagnosed with a wee (very wee) breast cancer, that required umpteen hospital appointments, a small op, and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.
I did cycle to all my appointments (apart from the op in January 2020, that one required a lift home or no release!), and cycled to all my radiotherapy sessions to the Beatson, a 16 miles round trip, in March/ April 2020, at the beginning of the first lockdown. Just as well I was able to, because I didn't see much public transport about.

I was very proud of myself, then, like a pure numpty, I was doing some forceful digging in the garden and, suddenly, my upper leg went a direction, while my lover leg went another, badly dislocating my knee.
When I finally got to see a physio, I was told I've got Hypermobility of the joints, need to watch that bending and twisting lol.

Anyhow, meantime, they tell me I've also got osteoporosis of the spine (a side effect of the cancer meds I'm on, or just old age, who knows lol): cycling is not recommended, but truly, I couldn't give a hoot :biggrin:
I've got my freedom of movement back :hyper: just wanted to share with you my excitement!
Glad to hear you are on the mend Pat. Sounds like you've really been in the wars. Listen to your body, but get out there when you can and keep those wheels turning. 🚲🚲🚲❤️

Slick

Guru
I know this is a bit late but I'm hopefully heading to Arran tomorrow for a bit of a blast and I originally thought about just rocking up in the lycra and just dealing with it on the way back as well. The ferry times have now all changed due to a bit of a covid scare and I may end up hanging around for a bit so am now planning to take a rucksack for a change of clothing. Last time we spoke to a very nice woman just along from the pier but I just wondered if there was anywhere a bit more official I could leave a bag of clothes?

bruce1530

Guru
Sounds like it's going to be chaotic. Normally 10 sailings a day each way - 5 on the Caledonian Isles ("the Big Boat") and 5 on the Isle of Arran ("the Wee Boat")

Big boat cancelled, so only 5 sailings on wee boat.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I passed it yesterday.
I'll nip over and look but I avoid it like the plague for those reasons.
I nip over the nearby Bing to avoid it.
Last time I was on the Union , there is/was overflow work blocking the towpath not far from east of the Dark Tunnel so haven't been out that way in the last couple months, anyone?
When I lived in Maddison the bings were pretty high and not something to cycle over. Have they been flattened?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
When I lived in Maddison the bings were pretty high and not something to cycle over. Have they been flattened?
The Policy Bing above Falkirk High station is the only I know TBH, as I said use it to go over rather than go through the Dark Tunnel on the Union, I've got family live next to it so an other excuse.
The bings further along the Union are pretty spectacular.
Must take a run up that way and see.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Policy Bing above Falkirk High station is the only I know TBH, as I said use it to go over rather than go through the Dark Tunnel on the Union, I've got family live next to it so an other excuse.
The bings further along the Union are pretty spectacular.
Must take a run up that way and see.
The bings I remember were pretty high and somebody once did a project photographing them at different seasons. Quite spectacular as an exhibition.
I think some at least have been flattened to remove memory of the mining and shale oil industry.

Slick

Guru
Sounds like it's going to be chaotic. Normally 10 sailings a day each way - 5 on the Caledonian Isles ("the Big Boat") and 5 on the Isle of Arran ("the Wee Boat")

Big boat cancelled, so only 5 sailings on wee boat.
It was fine going out this morning but coming back was chaos.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
78E99672-B056-474F-8A94-431212620019.jpeg

^_^

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Well, if the news from the HK Gov today is anything to go by (and it usually isn't tbh) I could be back in Scotlandshire in August next year for a visit for the first time since........ gulp........2017!!:eek:

Five years!:ohmy:

Mr Cookiemonster may also be along unless he has legal stuff to do. :becool:

Watch this space and be prepared. ^_^

Top Bottom