Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
New in Roughmute Tunnel on the Union Canal(above the Falkirk Wheel)..
The lights change at slow dance speed
IMG_0016.jpeg

plus someone's upset at Bonnybridge..
img_0017-jpeg.jpg

img_0018-jpeg.jpg

img_0019-jpg.jpg

Aimed at walkers....

That ends the local Falkirk news.....

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Bobby Mhor Have they done anything with the other longer tunnel to the east of that one? Never liked going through there. Always cold, dark, slippy surface, with the occasional drips from the ceiling!
I passed it yesterday.
I'll nip over and look but I avoid it like the plague for those reasons.
I nip over the nearby Bing to avoid it.
Last time I was on the Union , there is/was overflow work blocking the towpath not far from east of the Dark Tunnel so haven't been out that way in the last couple months, anyone?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
@Bobby Mhor Have they done anything with the other longer tunnel to the east of that one? Never liked going through there. Always cold, dark, slippy surface, with the occasional drips from the ceiling!
@Brandane
Same old crappy lighting I'm afraid..

water dripping incessantly at entrance...
one section about 100m in looked like poor disco lights.
camera catches more light than our eyes..
the new lighting at Roughmute obviously for the Wheel lift boats benefit
Dark Tunnel west entrance
IMG_0030.jpeg

IMG_0031.jpeg

Photo from about 3 years ago (nearer the East end)
tunnel-1.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
@Brandane
Same old crappy lighting I'm afraid..

water dripping incessantly at entrance...
one section about 100m in looked like poor disco lights.
camera catches more light than our eyes..
the new lighting at Roughmute obviously for the Wheel lift boats benefit
Dark Tunnel west entrance
View attachment 593207
View attachment 593202

Photo from about 3 years ago (nearer the East end)
View attachment 593206
Thanks for checking! :okay:
If/when I'm up that way again, I'll be taking the on-road detour to avoid that stretch.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm back on my bike! :hyper:
Guys, I'm so happy!
Back end of May 2020 I injured one of my knees, really badly. It is my stopping leg (the other knee has a ripped cartilage too!).
Was unable to walk without a stick for a good few months, never mind cycling.
Finally I made it back on the bike today, I'm fatter and bike unfit, but I can still ride, signal, and, most important, stop myself without my leg buckling :hyper:
How I have missed my transport: had to strengthen the knee by exercises first, then by taking long walks, but walking is so slow when you've got to go places.

I had stopped commuting in September 2019, because I started a job walking distance from home, but I was still doing quite a few leisure/utilitarian rides.
Then, a couple of month later, during a routine check up, I got diagnosed with a wee (very wee) breast cancer, that required umpteen hospital appointments, a small op, and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.
I did cycle to all my appointments (apart from the op in January 2020, that one required a lift home or no release!), and cycled to all my radiotherapy sessions to the Beatson, a 16 miles round trip, in March/ April 2020, at the beginning of the first lockdown. Just as well I was able to, because I didn't see much public transport about.

I was very proud of myself, then, like a pure numpty, I was doing some forceful digging in the garden and, suddenly, my upper leg went a direction, while my lover leg went another, badly dislocating my knee.
When I finally got to see a physio, I was told I've got Hypermobility of the joints, need to watch that bending and twisting lol.

Anyhow, meantime, they tell me I've also got osteoporosis of the spine (a side effect of the cancer meds I'm on, or just old age, who knows lol): cycling is not recommended, but truly, I couldn't give a hoot :biggrin:
I've got my freedom of movement back :hyper: just wanted to share with you my excitement!

I'm back on my bike! :hyper:
Guys, I'm so happy!
Back end of May 2020 I injured one of my knees, really badly. It is my stopping leg (the other knee has a ripped cartilage too!).
Was unable to walk without a stick for a good few months, never mind cycling.
Finally I made it back on the bike today, I'm fatter and bike unfit, but I can still ride, signal, and, most important, stop myself without my leg buckling :hyper:
How I have missed my transport: had to strengthen the knee by exercises first, then by taking long walks, but walking is so slow when you've got to go places.

I had stopped commuting in September 2019, because I started a job walking distance from home, but I was still doing quite a few leisure/utilitarian rides.
Then, a couple of month later, during a routine check up, I got diagnosed with a wee (very wee) breast cancer, that required umpteen hospital appointments, a small op, and 15 sessions of radiotherapy.
I did cycle to all my appointments (apart from the op in January 2020, that one required a lift home or no release!), and cycled to all my radiotherapy sessions to the Beatson, a 16 miles round trip, in March/ April 2020, at the beginning of the first lockdown. Just as well I was able to, because I didn't see much public transport about.

I was very proud of myself, then, like a pure numpty, I was doing some forceful digging in the garden and, suddenly, my upper leg went a direction, while my lover leg went another, badly dislocating my knee.
When I finally got to see a physio, I was told I've got Hypermobility of the joints, need to watch that bending and twisting lol.

Anyhow, meantime, they tell me I've also got osteoporosis of the spine (a side effect of the cancer meds I'm on, or just old age, who knows lol): cycling is not recommended, but truly, I couldn't give a hoot :biggrin:
I've got my freedom of movement back :hyper: just wanted to share with you my excitement!

Well done for working yourself back to health with everything else that was going on...

Top Bottom