Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hayley Brae , out of Largs.......another one ticked on my list.
Slow, very slow, but I got there.
Very brave :ohmy:. I live in the place and have done it once or twice over the years. But the fear of a car coming round one of those blind bends behind me at 60+ mph then finding oncoming traffic with me cycling at 5mph or so up the hill, and no verges - no thanks! Then once you reach the top of the hill, you are rewarded for the next few flat miles with a horrible, dressing free road surface for the most part.
If I need to cycle over that direction I much prefer the single track Fairlie Moor road. And if you thought the Haylie Brae was steep..... :ohmy::ohmy:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Very brave :ohmy:. I live in the place and have done it once or twice over the years. But the fear of a car coming round one of those blind bends behind me at 60+ mph then finding oncoming traffic with me cycling at 5mph or so up the hill, and no verges - no thanks! Then once you reach the top of the hill, you are rewarded for the next few flat miles with a horrible, dressing free road surface for the most part.
If I need to cycle over that direction I much prefer the single track Fairlie Moor road. And if you thought the Haylie Brae was steep..... :ohmy::ohmy:
Agreed on the Fairlie Moor road, from either side.
Today's Haylie Brae is much improved on the old version....
Haylie Brae Road to above Kilbirnie has a horrible surface to pedal along.
A trip down or up the Old Largs road from above Greenock is no bad (either way).....

pjd57

Veteran
Agreed on the Fairlie Moor road, from either side.
Today's Haylie Brae is much improved on the old version....
Haylie Brae Road to above Kilbirnie has a horrible surface to pedal along.
A trip down or up the Old Largs road from above Greenock is no bad (either way).....
Next time I'm probably going to carry on past Largs to Saltcoats then head away from the coast and back towards Glasgow.
Probably takes it up past the 90 mile mark . But no rush , it will be an all day plod along.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Next time I'm probably going to carry on past Largs to Saltcoats then head away from the coast and back towards Glasgow.
Probably takes it up past the 90 mile mark . But no rush , it will be an all day plod along.
The NCN route from Kilwinning up to Glasgow is a good option. Quiet back roads to Glengarnock then disused railway line all the way to Paisley canal station, from where it is a mix of off road paths and minor roads through Pollok Park etc. which I'm sure you will be familiar with, into the city centre.

pjd57

Veteran
The NCN route from Kilwinning up to Glasgow is a good option. Quiet back roads to Glengarnock then disused railway line all the way to Paisley canal station, from where it is a mix of off road paths and minor roads through Pollok Park etc. which I'm sure you will be familiar with, into the city centre.
I use the NCN route from Paisley to Lochwinnoch and beyond . The section from Glasgow out to Paisley I usually avoid. It wanders about a fair bit.

Dwn

The weather tomorrow is due to be a bit better, so I’m planning on going for a cycle with my wife. It’s her turn to pick the route, and inexplicably she has determined that we head for Glasgow Green and then follow the walkway out towards Newton. We don’t like to leave our dog alone in the house to long, so Newton is about our limit.

It’s a route I find quite tedious, exacerbated by the lack of an obvious cafe stop near the destination. Does anyone know of any decent cafes out that way?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
If you are on a hybrid, take the 75 track down to just after Kilmacolm then find your way over to Garshangan, a rough track for about 2 miles(if that) then up over Loch Thom and drop down into Largs via the Old Largs Rd then North Ayrshire is all yours..

Yeah that’s a great run. But don’t try it if it’s muddy unless you’ve got suitable wheels....
I’ve done it several times (dry) on a bike with 28mm tyres.

pjd57

Veteran
If you are on a hybrid, take the 75 track down to just after Kilmacolm then find your way over to Garshangan, a rough track for about 2 miles(if that) then up over Loch Thom and drop down into Largs via the Old Largs Rd then North Ayrshire is all yours..
It'll be my road bike or maybe the CX , so probably not for me.

pjd57

Veteran
The weather tomorrow is due to be a bit better, so I’m planning on going for a cycle with my wife. It’s her turn to pick the route, and inexplicably she has determined that we head for Glasgow Green and then follow the walkway out towards Newton. We don’t like to leave our dog alone in the house to long, so Newton is about our limit.

It’s a route I find quite tedious, exacerbated by the lack of an obvious cafe stop near the destination. Does anyone know of any decent cafes out that way?
Free Wheel North at Glasgow green now have a cafe , but it's not open on Wednesday.
Still getting going gradually after lockdown.

Edit..... they seem to be open more days now. Check the Free Wheel North Facebook page .

Declaration of interest....I work part time at the FWN track .

Last edited:
I’d avoid the road from Saltcoats to Dalry - traffic can be a bit crazy, and some bad bends. But most of the other roads inland are fine. Coming from Largs, you could do the Fairlie Moor road (big hill, but great road and pretty much no traffic) to Dalry and pick up NCN7, or go via West Kilbride to Dalry, or Ardrossan to Dalry, or push on to Kilwinning (maybe using NCN73) and pick uo NCN7 there.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Free Wheel North at Glasgow green now have a cafe , but it's not open on Wednesday.
Still getting going gradually after lockdown.

Edit..... they seem to be open more days now. Check the Free Wheel North Facebook page .

Declaration of interest....I work part time at the FWN track .
Insider knowledge - always a big + in my book ! :okay:

Talking of insider knowledge….

Next expedition will probably take me thru Glasgow on a weekday, mid morning.

Will be coming thru Clyde tunnel, then following cycle route signs past kelvingrove, thru park, under gt western road to pick up the f&c canal path at Maryhill

Looking for somewhere bike friendly for a quick pit stop. Nothing fancy, just decent coffee, maybe a bacon roll, outside seating, and toilets!

Any recommendations?

Top Bottom