Is it ok to have a cycling buddy from the opposite sex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Although it was chucking it down this afternoon, managed a cycle. Was supposed to go with a workmate and her two friends (one male and the other female) but my workmate and the bloke chickened out because of the weather. I met up with the other person at the arranged time and we decided to go for it as we'd both managed to clear some ride time with our other halves. Was a great ride and was cool to get to know someone new...at the end of the ride we went our separate ways both saying it would be great to go out again (completely innocently btw)
Didn't think any thing of it until I got home and was telling the wife about the ride...oh dear! She's really not happy that I went riding with 'another woman'...even though my wife wouldn't be seen dead riding a bike!!! I explained how innocent it was but she's still not a happy camper and even less so at the thought that I might go out with her again...
Is it acceptable or not???

GrasB

Veteran
2170315 said:
In your life clearly not.
This... in all honesty if your wife isn't happy about you going on a ride with another cyclist because of their gender then there sounds to be more issues in your future

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
Yep....I met one in 1986. Married her a year later and 25 years on, we are still cycling!! We started with triathlon as our main sport (which was a little less old fashioned than pure road racing/TT in the mid 1980s and training with a 'gal was acceptable). We now do weekend rides and long tours together now the kids have left home.

Don't tell your wife that there's a chance that you could marry your new training partner, tho :laugh:
Sage advice!!!

compo

Veteran
You have obviously not met my mate Howard, his wife Pearl, and Howard's cycling buddy, Marina.

DSC01623.jpg

Peteaud

Veteran
Depends on how fit the lady on the bike is?

:thumbsup:

Hip Priest

Veteran
But in all seriousness, your wife probably shouldn't worry about it, but jealousy is a fairly universal human emotion. If my wife was regularly going cycling (or running, swimming, canoeing..etc) with another man for hours at a time, I would probably be a little jealous.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I used to have a climbing partner, a chap the same age as me as climbing with my (then) husband was risky as he was a very inattentive belay and I didn't actually want to die at the Roaches. After about a year of climbing with my climbing buddy, of the opposite sex, I moved in with him and we have been married for nearly 7 years now.

There seems to be a theme beginning with this thread.

I have a male friend called Mark, who I go Geocaching with. Hubby is cool about it, even when hubby doesn't fancy 'caching. Then again, I have been mates with our Mark for nearly 30 years. There has never been anything else but being friends between us, never will be and my husband is totally fine with it. I think that it is perfectly OK to have a friend of the opposite sex to cycle/geocache/hike whatever with. If your marriage/relationship is strong there is nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
If the boot was on the other foot & your wife liked swimming & was going to the pool with a male friend would you be happy?

Alan...
You are probably correct...however, people tend to look like idiots in lycra (I certainly do!!!) and are mostly covered up (I was wrapped up like a septic thumb today!)...swimsuits would be slightly different

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
But in all seriousness, your wife probably shouldn't worry about it, but jealousy is a fairly universal human emotion. If my wife was regularly going cycling (or running, swimming, canoeing..etc) with another man for hours at a time, I would probably be a little jealous.
True

D

Deleted member 26715

You are probably correct...however, people tend to look like idiots in lycra (I certainly do!!!) and are mostly covered up (I was wrapped up like a septic thumb today!)...swimsuits would be slightly different
It is a tough one, I wish you the best of luck, but we do only pass this way once, it would be a shame to have spent it with the wrong person.

Alan...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have one. I have been on three mountain biking/walking holidays with her and we have done many single-day walks and bike rides together. (I posted a picture of her dog earlier this afternoon, snapped on one of our summer walks a couple of years ago.)

Neither of us had partners at those times though. She has a boyfriend now so I don't see us having holidays together again.

I'd be a bit peeved if he tried vetoing the odd day out though. I have known her 7 years longer than him and helped see her through some difficult times. I'll either see her when he is busy, or invite them both over!

Top Bottom