Is it ok to have a cycling buddy from the opposite sex?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Nope that's a platonic relationship from the woman's perspective. It is never platonic from the single
Guys perspective no matter what he might say to the woman and her husband

I just can't believe that, but I'm no expert and without speaking to every man on earth I couldn't speak with any authority. I could however speak based on my own experience and augment it with supposition, which I guess is the lifeblood of any forum.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Nope that's a platonic relationship from the woman's perspective. It is never platonic from the single
Guys perspective no matter what he might say to the woman and her husband
I'll politely disagree with you on that. She and I know how it is, and so does her husband. There's no sexual tension to resolve. No tension. Nothing sexual at all, full stop.

Lee_M

Guru
Well I hope you're right, however I have never seen a single man and a woman have a platonic relationship that didn't end either in divorce or other trouble

Maybe it's the people I know

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well I hope you're right, however I have never seen a single man and a woman have a platonic relationship that didn't end either in divorce or other trouble

Maybe it's the people I know
Perhaps. I've only not been carrying a torch for the lady for eighteen years!

Personally I would have no problems with my husband going out for a bike ride with another woman - I trust him. I had even nicknamed one of his female work collegues his "work wife" because he used to spend so much time with her work. When I met her for the first time, (she stayed the night at our home), within 10 minutes she & I were talking tents!
Similarly he has never had any problems with the male friends in my life - which given my career path, has been dominated by them (I started in IT working for an agency of the armed forces - IT (or at least my field is very male dominated - one place I worked there were 56 IT engineers and only 2 of us were female). When I was with the civil service, my gym buddies were both male soldiers (always 2 of them for no other reason than the fact that there were no female showers, and the mens toilet block with the showers had 2 entrances, so 1 on each toilet block entrance (yeh I know what you are thinking) whilst I showered). My swimming buddy at my last work place was also male - we were only allowed to swim in pairs for H&S reasons and we swam each and every day in the school swimming pool. And occationally I get to cycle with other people, usually men. In fact, I think I can interact better in person with men than I can with people of the same sex as me - female, for some reason I find it easier. Ironically I grew up without a father! maybe that had something to do with it, I don't know, but what it all comes down to is:

trust

and it works both ways. May be that is why my husband and I are more like best friends than lovers - we trust each other.

Norm

I think it's OK to have a riding buddy of the opposite gender, but if my wife didn't, I'd stop immediately.

Or, should I say, I thought it was OK to take a pillion of the opposite gender but my wife didn't so I stopped immediately. For me, I get so much freedom that I have no qualms at all doing as she asked.

Everyone is different, every relationship is different, I'm not sure I'd want to pass judgement on how others choose to share their lives.

lulubel

Über Member
Not sure if this is a response to my comment, but I think ideas clear my comment was about single men and women, nothing about gay men and nothing about men in relationships

I didn't respond to your earlier comment, but I had a platonic friendship with a single man for over 20 years. (We "went out" briefly when I was 14 and he was 16.) Since the sex change, my single male friend has become my single lesbian friend, and my partner is still totally OK with it.

Lee_M

Guru
I didn't respond to your earlier comment, but I had a platonic friendship with a single man for over 20 years. (We "went out" briefly when I was 14 and he was 16.) Since the sex change, my single male friend has become my single lesbian friend, and my partner is still totally OK with it.

so in fact you didnt have a platonic friendship with a male, you had a platonc friendship with someone who didnt yet know who or what they were?

I dont think that refutes my original statement

although im glad your friend found who they wanted to be

Top Bottom