Is this legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Over the years I've got fed up of seeing 'cycle here and be fined £30' signs along the pavements here in Shirley, Southampton. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better to put up signs warning people not to drive on the pavement as the practice is rife.
rolleyes.gif

Is it really that hard to just use a parking space? There were plenty available at the time.

Some background to this below.

2011-09-18 15.22.04.jpg

dsc00136d.jpg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi Riverman, never seen signs like that in my area of Romsey, you must be a bad lot down in Shirley

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I must admit, cars parked on pavements can be a right nuisance when they're causing an obstruction.

Just to play devil's advocate though, where they're not causing an obstruction, they don't really bother me.

I think it's reasonable to fine pavement cyclists, especially when there are a lot of pedestrians; I go into Southampton quite a lot and as a pedestrian I frequently have to dodge pavement-cycling chavs on BSOs who cycle at speed and without caring who they send flying, which is the group who will be nabbed by the fine, and a good thing too! Once I told one BSO chav idiot who nearly ran into me to "get off the pavement!" and I got a mouthful of abuse, followed by threats of violence.

Also, if a car is blatantly parked on the pavement, causing n obstruction, you can just phone the police and they will come and take it away (which I have seen happen on numerous occasions when I lived in London as a kid). It will then cost the driver a lot more than £30 to get it back!

Zoiders

A badly parked car is stationary, it's a pain in the arse yes but's it's not going to hit you.

Pavement cyclists who ride in ped areas with no consideration for other people on the other hand - fine the buggers and fine them often.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
A badly parked car is stationary, it's a pain in the arse yes but's it's not going to hit you.

Pavement cyclists who ride in ped areas with no consideration for other people on the other hand - fine the buggers and fine them often.

+1 ( damn Zoiders, we agree on something :smile:)

domtyler

Über Member
After my eldest was almost killed by a pavement cyclist I found myself liking them less and less...

Porridge not petrol!

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1549582"]
Conversely, a pavement cyclist can move out of your way. Of a visually impaired person or someone with a wheelchair or pushchair, a parked car can't.
[/quote]Leaving a car badly parked is a passive act of stupidity and they get fined accordingly.

Riding in a busy ped area is actively and persistently stupid and selfish.

I am not really sure what the pedantry is in aid of as penalties already exist for badly parked cars - the poor behaviour of drivers who park badly is not an excuse for the quite frankly aggressive behaviour of pavement cyclists.

You can go looking for some exception to every situation but it still does not become an excuse for bad behaviour, a parked car is an obstacle, a pedestrian cyclist is a projectile so he or she rates as the worst of the two.

Parked cars don't magically appear on the pavement though: they're driven there. I was once very nearly flattened when I stepped out of a shop pretty much directly into the path of a car being parked on the pavement. Granted, it was only going slowly, but it was certainly fast enough to put me on the bonnet.

Zoiders

The other problem with pavement parking is the damage it does to the pavement. They are not designed to take big heavy cars.
Actually a lot are so they will take service vehicles.

50mm slabs will take it if laid properly, pimpy stone effect slabs seen in some town centres if you take one up are about 100mm thick.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I know that area well. It is common for them to park like that outside MaccyDs because they're "only popping into tesco" to buy some milk, bread etc. There is a lot of free parking along there - theres no need for it, they probably cant be bothered to f***ing walk.

As others have said it is wide... but there are issues for the disabled and we do see them shopping in that area.

Top Bottom