Is this legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cars parked on pavements is a problem where i live especially when i'm walking the kids to school,Mind you my little ones school bags make a hell of a noise on them when they have to squeeze past them :whistle:

A badly parked car is stationary, it's a pain in the arse yes but's it's not going to hit you.

Pavement cyclists who ride in ped areas with no consideration for other people on the other hand - fine the buggers and fine them often.

I agree completely with the second statement,

however, a parked car on the pavement can mean a wheelchair user, parent and push chair or just someone walking, having to use the road in order to get past.

They get fined? Really. Take a look down the street in question on streetview.

http://www.google.co...,124.6,,0,21.02

Sadly the layout encourages people to drive on the pavement as you can see. And nobody is ever fined as far as I know.

the layout appears to be set out in a similar way to how I access my parent's driveway, by waiting for the pavement to be clear and driving across it onto the driveway.

however, as you say, some people will use that as a way of parking on the pavement when there is nowhere beyond the pavement to go.
which is wrong.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
If i'm taking mini-me No.4 with me to take the kids to and from school and am using the buggy then it is a pain (and a danger ) to use the road to pass inconsiderate car owners parked across the pavement and who have perfectly good drives it really annoys me ! If there is just enough room then i squeeze past the damn thing not worrying too much about contact or use their garden !
I have a car and think "what if" if i need to park on a road,most people abviously don't give a toss !

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1549595"]
I have several visually impaired friends. I find it fascinating the amount of damage a long cane with one of those balls on the end can do to a pavement-parked car. The user has to swing it from side-to-side you see to identify any obstruction.
[/quote]

I had a wheelchair enabled friend. She often misjudged the gap a car parked on a pavement had left her :smile:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Back to the OP's question. Yes it is legal to fine pavement cyclists.

I'm not 100% against fines for stuff like this but I don't think either should be criminal offences as these kind of issues should be able to be resolved without resorting to the law. Then again, if you were caught hurtling down a pavement at speed in a car or on a bike, then yes that should be a criminal offence.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm not 100% against fines for stuff like this but I don't think either should be criminal offences as these kind of issues should be able to be resolved without resorting to the law. Then again, if you were caught hurtling down a pavement at speed in a car or on a bike, then yes that should be a criminal offence.
The question was "is it legal?" not "should it be legal?" :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
On my commute there's a problem with parked cars which take advantage of a wide shared cycle/ pedestrian section of pavement. There are often 3 or 4 cars there and it's a real headache as it's an obvious place to re-join the road so as not to get blocked by numptys turning right from a side road ahead. The parked cars make it really difficult to do this manoevre and are often so badly parked, they make it hard for wheelchair users and pushchairs. I've never once seen a ticket on any of these wretched vehicles. The pic shows this section, though unusually there's only one appalingly parked snot bucket on the pavement in the pic.

Attachments

• pavement parking.jpg
    pavement parking.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 76

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
On my commute there's a problem with parked cars which take advantage of a wide shared cycle/ pedestrian section of pavement. There are often 3 or 4 cars there and it's a real headache as it's an obvious place to re-join the road so as not to get blocked by numptys turning right from a side road. The parked cars make it really difficult to do this manoevre and are often so badly parked, they make it hard for wheelchair users and pushchairs. I've never once seen a ticket on any of these wretched vehicles. The pic shows this section, though unusually there's only one appalingly parked snot bucket on the pavement in the pic.
In my experience these cars often loose paintwork or wing mirrors. I have no idea how this happens.

Alun

Guru
It's OK to park a car on the pavement, especially if you can get all 4 wheels on. It doesn't matter about pedestrians, they don't pay "road tax" !

Maylian

Veteran
Got to admit cars parked on pavements in Southampton is a real pain, mostly I find the issue to be on the main avenue near the common http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?gcx=c&q=the+avenue+southampton&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl whilst this picture shows it clear cars often drive on to the road or into these spaces with little to no regard for any pedestrians or other pavement users. I rarely use this stretch of pavement now unless too tired to not be a hindrance on the road.

As for cycling on pavements I had a small altercation with a pedestrian on Sunday in the centre of town as a woman walked into my bike as I was stopped. I was trying to get off the bike since it was quite busy but she liked to tell me that I "shouldn't be riding in the first place" I was quite quick to point to the shared use signs nearby. Whilst it wouldn't be excusable I half felt like turning round and clotheslining her....

Any way back to the OP I don't see why it would be illegal and there are a few I agree with completely, especially near the trainstation on the hill although these are routinely ignored, mostly by chavs or office workers late for the train in my experience.

atbman

Veteran
Terrible people pavement cyclists. Of course, drivers are no threat to pedestrians on pavements. Why, in London, in the last 5 years, only 17 pedestrians have been killed on pavements in collisions with motor vehicles, but none AFAIK by a cyclist.

Then again, in the 8 years ending 31.12.05, only 382 pedestrians were killed on pavements by motor vehicles, while, tragically, cyclists recklessly killed 2.

I write this, not to dismiss the pain caused by such cyclists, but to put them in some sort of perspective. But isn't it odd, that you never see anything about drivers killing people on pavements? I would have thought that the Daily Mail and The Sun would have been up in arms about it, don't you?

Bigsharn

Veteran
It's illegal to ride on the pavement anywhere and it's a standard £30 fine (last time I checked at least). But I agree that they should put signs up saying "If you park on the pavement we'll find you for (something bad, I don't know car parking laws too well)"

Top Bottom