Is this legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard Mann

The sign does not comply with the Signs Regs, and if the Highway Authority put it up on anything other than a temporary basis, they are committing an offence.

The language is also not entirely in line with Home Office guidance (in particular, FPNs can't be issued to under-16s, and shouldn't be issued if the road alongside is "dangerous" and the cyclist is behaving sensibly).

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
The sign does not comply with the Signs Regs, and if the Highway Authority put it up on anything other than a temporary basis, they are committing an offence.

The language is also not entirely in line with Home Office guidance (in particular, FPNs can't be issued to under-16s, and shouldn't be issued if the road alongside is "dangerous" and the cyclist is behaving sensibly).

Do the signs look permanent to you?

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
In my village the Council have helpfully painted a dotted white line so that residents know just how much of their car to put on the pavement...

Google street view

That's pretty shocking. Moreover, these two have definitely taken it a step too far.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...rl1Np89j9-UgSu8pGA&cbp=12,76.28,,0,16.27&z=19

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...l1Np89j9-UgSu8pGA&cbp=12,328.55,,0,21.57&z=19

You give people an inch and they take a mile huh?

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Terrible people pavement cyclists. Of course, drivers are no threat to pedestrians on pavements. Why, in London, in the last 5 years, only 17 pedestrians have been killed on pavements in collisions with motor vehicles, but none AFAIK by a cyclist.

Then again, in the 8 years ending 31.12.05, only 382 pedestrians were killed on pavements by motor vehicles, while, tragically, cyclists recklessly killed 2.

I write this, not to dismiss the pain caused by such cyclists, but to put them in some sort of perspective. But isn't it odd, that you never see anything about drivers killing people on pavements? I would have thought that the Daily Mail and The Sun would have been up in arms about it, don't you?

Out of interest, where did you get these figures from?

Thanks

Richard Mann

Do the signs look permanent to you?

There are rules for this kind of thing (but don't ask me where). They don't relate to a specific event, so I don't think they'd count as temporary, no. They are a sign within the ambit of the signs regs that is unapproved. So it's an offence.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
There are rules for this kind of thing (but don't ask me where). They don't relate to a specific event, so I don't think they'd count as temporary, no. They are a sign within the ambit of the signs regs that is unapproved. So it's an offence.

I think what it highlights is how the police will themselves break the rules if they know they can get away with it. Kinda sounds a bit like the attitude of some pavement cyclists to me. You can almost taste the irony.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Terrible people pavement cyclists. Of course, drivers are no threat to pedestrians on pavements. Why, in London, in the last 5 years, only 17 pedestrians have been killed on pavements in collisions with motor vehicles, but none AFAIK by a cyclist.

Then again, in the 8 years ending 31.12.05, only 382 pedestrians were killed on pavements by motor vehicles, while, tragically, cyclists recklessly killed 2.

I write this, not to dismiss the pain caused by such cyclists, but to put them in some sort of perspective. But isn't it odd, that you never see anything about drivers killing people on pavements? I would have thought that the Daily Mail and The Sun would have been up in arms about it, don't you?

Nice post. See also RLJ which has a similar story. Of course you would have to take into account the fact that there are more cars than bikes on the road to make the figures a bit more comparable.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Over the years I've got fed up of seeing 'cycle here and be fined £30' signs along the pavements here in Shirley, Southampton. I'm beginning to wonder if it would be better to put up signs warning people not to drive on the pavement as the practice is rife.
rolleyes.gif

Is it really that hard to just use a parking space? There were plenty available at the time.

Some background to this below.

[attachment=5260:2011-09-18 15.22.04.jpg]

dsc00136d.jpg
have they laid the order? I know that sounds like a silly question, but when Lambeth decided to ban cyclists from the Embankment (aka Sustrans Route 4 they forgot to lay the traffic order. Cue PCSOs asking people pretty please not to cycle on the path

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
have they laid the order? I know that sounds like a silly question, but when Lambeth decided to ban cyclists from the Embankment (aka Sustrans Route 4 they forgot to lay the traffic order. Cue PCSOs asking people pretty please not to cycle on the path

The local campaign were fully in support so I'm guessing yes. Theres a similar situation on the Itchen Bridge - lots of pavement cyclists, but funnily enough a reasonable cyclelane on the road.

There have been fines issued on Shirley road. Around autumn 2009 I seem to remember a story about an elderly gent who was knocked down, broke his hip and is now disabled as the result of a pedallestrian. I think thats what spurred it all.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The local campaign were fully in support so I'm guessing yes. Theres a similar situation on the Itchen Bridge - lots of pavement cyclists, but funnily enough a reasonable cyclelane on the road.

There have been fines issued on Shirley road. Around autumn 2009 I seem to remember a story about an elderly gent who was knocked down, broke his hip and is now disabled as the result of a pedallestrian. I think thats what spurred it all.
well you can understand it then.

That's pretty shocking. Moreover, these two have definitely taken it a step too far.

http://maps.google.c...8,,0,16.27&z=19

http://maps.google.c...5,,0,21.57&z=19

You give people an inch and they take a mile huh?

Luckily the pavement is really wide there.

But then again, so is the road.

Probably just worried about a wing mirror being clipped - oh such a poor car, it might get damaged - cars cost lots of money didn't you know? :tongue: Even if they are £200 2nd hand run abouts.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Came past on the bus today and saw a G4S van parked up in the same spot. If security was that much of an issue he should have backed up against the door, haha! :biggrin:

atbman

Veteran
Out of interest, where did you get these figures from? Thanks

The London one was in, I think, the Guardian. The others I got from the Dept of Transport from one of their traffic stats blokes back in '06 or '07. Haven't updated them since, but they do put things into perspective a bit.

Another comparison from the same set ending 31/12/05:

Pedestrian deaths on crossings from motor vehicles 530
" " " " cyclists 3

I'm assuming that the deaths on pavements are almost invariably the fault of the rider/driver, while those on crossings probably so, tho' I speak as one who was brought off and left with a wrecked front wheel and helmet by someone walking out in front of me when I had right of way (green light)

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Came past on the bus today and saw a G4S van parked up in the same spot. If security was that much of an issue he should have backed up against the door, haha! :biggrin:

A bit unrelated but I pulled up at some traffic lights today to find a taxi actually in front of the cyclebox beyond the white line! I couldn't believe it. When I questioned him he didn't seem to understand that what he was doing was illegal.

Top Bottom