Is this legal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard Mann

A bit unrelated but I pulled up at some traffic lights today to find a taxi actually in front of the cyclebox beyond the white line! I couldn't believe it. When I questioned him he didn't seem to understand that what he was doing was illegal.
It's only illegal if he crossed the white line on red. Simply being over the line on red isn't illegal.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
It's only illegal if he crossed the white line on red. Simply being over the line on red isn't illegal.

He had three quarters of his people carrier in front of this cycle box whilst waiting for the lights to change from red. He had quite a wait.

http://maps.google.c...353.66,,0,14.42

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
What's wrong with Shirley?? Apart from all the Polish and charity shops!!

Sorry it was a bit tongue in cheek. Shirley is alright, whereas Lords Hill... ugh. :tongue:

Also nothing wrong with Polish people or charity shops. :smile: There do seem to be a lot of charity shops in Shirley. The street layout for pedestrians in Shirley really is pretty inviting I have to admit. It's got a lot to offer in that regard, a lot of potential. If only those damn cars wouldn't drive on the pavement. :smile:

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
More pavement parking shenanigans. This picture I snapped I think highlights it well, I just wish the 'no cycling on the pavement' sign in the distance was more visible.

pavementlorry.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That lorry is taking the piss a bit. There are delivery bays around the back of those particualr shops (think i said that earlier n the thread)

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Thing is I understand lorries may need to do this on occasion, owing to poor planning over the years, however not in the middle of the day on a busy street!

I've seen them doing this in the early hours of the morning before whilst hardly anyone was around and to be honest, I don't have much of a problem with that.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
It would be interesting to see what people would say if someone proposed erecting bollards along the high street to prevent vehicles mounting the pavement. That said, it's probably a bit impractical.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Thing is I understand lorries may need to do this on occasion, owing to poor planning over the years, however not in the middle of the day on a busy street!

I've seen them doing this in the early hours of the morning before whilst hardly anyone was around and to be honest, I don't have much of a problem with that.

Our local post office is a delight for that kind of thing. There is nowhere legal to park smack bang outside the post office, as there;s a zebra crossing there. So some of the vans park on the zig-zags, some on the double yellow lines, and the rest pull onto the footpath and block it. Brilliant...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google maps stevenage&ll=51.911257,-0.208102&spn=0.00141,0.004128&safe=safe&hnear=Stevenage, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.911257,-0.208102&panoid=lVqI-VVnaCKeqMereUJZVg&cbp=12,209,,0,-5.32

porteous

Veteran
I'm staggered by the first photo? Why would you place a seat facing McDonalds when it could be facing the road?? Oh, I think pavement bikers are a problem unless they are little and with their mummies and daddies

al78

Guru
Nice post. See also RLJ which has a similar story. Of course you would have to take into account the fact that there are more cars than bikes on the road to make the figures a bit more comparable.

I wonder how many of those deaths are due to drivers losing control of their vehicles and crashing on the pavement rather than deliberately driving on the pavement.

Top Bottom