Is this new TT helmet a step too far?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Let them eat cake !
I drink beer, me !

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Wearing 'Go faster' gear seems totally pointless to me, it's not ascribing to the corithianan values of the Olympics, , form over function you might say.
Mind you, in modern Olympic sport, technical advantage is sought ot over pure physical form.
That's to say that at top level sport, nobody appears to be just be themselves against the tape.
I don't even wear a cycle helmet for leisure cycling,it is more about 'fashion' rather asthetics, I do not believe a bowl shape of polystyrene is ever going to do much for you in an accident.

Is this code for 'athletes must be naked'?

Is this code for 'athletes must be naked'?

ha ha!

No, I think you're mixing your eras of sport. I wasn't sure, so I googled and got this:

What is the origin of the Corinthian spirit?
An approach to sporting encounter rooted in the amateur philosophy of football in late 19th-century England, when the Corinthian (Casuals) club was formed in 1881 as a riposte to the emergence and rise of (initially concealed) professionalism in the sport.

The fact that they are for streamlining, not protection, must surely have someone treading the grapes of wrath already in the helmet thread! (I'm keeping well out of that one).

These are sooo big that they must be offering more protection than the smaller hats. That's the only way Giro could realistically fight the ban - sure they're faster - but they're also safer...

Reactions: mjr
I'd be OK with these helmets on TTs over 100km, with at least 1000m climbing. Don't say I never offer a compromise.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a sport. The spirit is to win, within the rules.

The gear used by racing cyclists - pro or amateur - generally doesn't much resemble the gear I use, for the simple reason that I'm not racing. They're doing something entirely different from "normal" cycling: They're racing.

For the same reason, my little Hyundai doesn't look much like an F1 car.

It's a sport. The spirit is to win, within the rules.
True (sort of, but never mind ... ). The trouble is that here the "rules" are encouraging athletes to use mechanical design to gain advantage over competitors who may be superior athletes. I know it's hard to stop that in cycling, but the rules can be optimised to minimise that effect.
Allowing aero helmets that would not be allowed (nor practical) on a road stage is a clear example.
The gear used by racing cyclists - pro or amateur - generally doesn't much resemble the gear I use, for the simple reason that I'm not racing. They're doing something entirely different from "normal" cycling: They're racing.
Most gear used by racing cyclists over the years has made life better for ordinary cyclusts doing things like touring:
Pneumatic tyres
QR wheels
Derailleurs
Lycra shorts
Helmets sorry

And then there's the category of amateur RACING cyclists, who ideally will be able to easily afford most stuff they see raced on the telly, and use it without crazy technical support or whathaveyou.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Most gear used by racing cyclists over the years has made life better for ordinary cyclusts doing things like touring:
Pneumatic tyres
QR wheels
Derailleurs
Lycra shorts
Helmets sorry

With the possible exception of QRs (Thanks Tullio) these were not so much pioneered by racing as taken up by racing from the mainstream.

Indeed time was that touring spectators with their fancy geared bikes could ride up to their vantage points on the big cols with relative ease, and wait for the TdF racers to labour up on their single speed, sometimes fixed wheel, bikes.

Clipless pedals - that would be a good example. They were originated in racing. I like them but I could live without. And carbon frames - what would we do without carbon frames? ;)

Anyway, the UCi have just banned the Specialized sock helmet thing, so this may well follow.

Top Bottom