It's Eurovision time again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

What is it for? I don't know what it's for.

In what way is it relevant when the best recording artists in the country wouldn't touch it with a barge pole? Is it 'The best song by a person who's desperate enough to do it'? Sort of 'the best sh** song in europe'? Like Big Brother for singers?

Terry Wogan was the only good thing about it.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Bah humbug Mr Pig!!!

yello

Auntie Helen said:
we thought the Germans took it seriously but she disabused us of that fact very quickly.

I lived in Hamburg near on 10 years ago, the time of Guildo Horn and his Eurovision attempt. It was a total piss take, and all the Germans I met knew it! In fact, I remember thinking that Britain, with all it's smug Woganism, would not get it!

yello

The Nicole and Tom presenters are pure camp class! Inspired stuff!!

My vote for the evening goes to Serbia - a perfectly pitched Eurovision entry! Couldn't help but laugh at the carnival. Shame, shame on Ireland. Are they trying to win or something?!

Rob S

Having now watched all the songs I'm voting several times for Iceland and Estonia....and once for Serbia.

Germany sounds like quite a song and if I heard correctly Dita Von Teese will be on stage for it!!

Rob S

Graham Norton seemed to be remarkably uncocklike tonight...if he can stay like that until the end of Saturday's show I might listen to him rather than Mr Bruce.

Noodley

Don't panic I have no plans to have Eurovision as this week's Friday Night is Music Night :laugh:

I cannot guarantee I have a 'special' Saturday Night is Eurovision Music Night :smile::ohmy:;)

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Cathryn said:
...I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the politics though - what started as amusing (Scandinavia giving each other the top marks)....

Is it really politics when a region votes for each other? I'm inclined to think it's more that they have similar tastes in music and therefore genuinely appreciate each others' entries.

ChrisKH

Guru
rafiki said:
Is it really politics when a region votes for each other? I'm inclined to think it's more that they have similar tastes in music and therefore genuinely appreciate each others' entries.

Yea, right.

Let's see how many points Israel get from Turkey.

OP
OP
Unkraut

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
The only ultimate way you could ensure the song was being voted for and not the country (with one or two exceptions obviously) would be to keep the country anonymous until after the voting. Who knows, perhaps even Britain might win.

Arch

Married to Night Train
rafiki said:
:biggrin: Different cultures different tastes. Reinforces my view really?

No, I think you only have to look at the Greek/Turkish/Cypriot trio to see that politics really does come into it. Always has - didn't they get rid of juries because they suspected partisanship, and lo and behold, the general population turned out to be even more partisan!

Unkraut has an idea there - but you'd have to choose a lingua franca, or force competitors to sing in a language chosen by lottery, or it would become obvious who was who.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
rafiki said:
:biggrin: Different cultures different tastes. Reinforces my view really?

I partly agree. I think that countries that are similar (geographically, culturally etc) generally like the same music which is why it can be quite funny.

But recently there's been some very definite pandering to bigger, more oil rich neighbours and that bugs me. Flipping Ukraine gave Russia 12 points EVEN THOUGH THEY CUT THE OIL SUPPLIES OFF HALF WAY THROUGH THE YEAR. Surely this would be the best way to teach the Ruskies to behave better!!

Top Bottom