I've been reprimanded by the police!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Today was a rare beautiful sunny morning in Glasgow. On emerging from the local park, heading towards the segregated path on the riverside, I see my friends from the Glasgow Bike station doing a Doctor bike, looking forward to say hi and have a wee chat.
From afar, I see lots of hi-viz, must be the police doing their bike marking.
No! Got stopped, asked "where is my helmet, do I own one, the police recommends wearing one, not a (bright pink btw) woolen hat"
Ok, fair enough, had a chat with Mr. police man about "cannae be bothered on the commute to work because I don't really ride in traffic, feel quite safe on the whole segregate route, of descending Mt. Ventoux I would wear one, blah blah, have you ever looked into the actual testing of cycling helmets, and so on". All the while my friend the bike mechanic was killing himself laughing.
Now, this is not about the helmet, or I would have put it in the proper section.
What annoyed me to no end was that he started on me not wearing a hi-viz jacket or vest.
I pointed at my bright red cycling jacket, and the pink hat, and the bright daylight.
He said, no matter, drivers will always not see you, unless you wear hi-viz, look at me - he was wearing lots of reflective, of course.
That really made me fuming, told him to then go tell drivers to go to Specsavers if they cannot see a cyclist in a bright red jacket on a sunny morning.
Then he asks me if I want a map and my bike made safe by the bike doctor!
No thanks, could you make my local dual carriageway safe by on the spot speed checking instead?
This approach by the police to new commuters - I presume the campaign is aimed at them - is all wrong.
The impression the police conveys to inexperienced cyclists is that cycling is dangerous to no end, hopping on a bike to ride to your work could result in you being squashed and brain damaged even if you only do 5 miles on the segregated path.
Drivers will not see you!
Yeah, that's why I choose to share this path with joggers and dog walkers, could you please do something about the blind drivers, then I will don my yellow gear and ride the road instead.
Harumph, rant over ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Point out the the nice man that the DfTs own figures show no reduction in casualties among road workers that corresponds with the use of hi vis garments.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Today was a rare beautiful sunny morning in Glasgow. On emerging from the local park, heading towards the segregated path on the riverside, I see my friends from the Glasgow Bike station doing a Doctor bike, looking forward to say hi and have a wee chat.
From afar, I see lots of hi-viz, must be the police doing their bike marking.
No! Got stopped, asked "where is my helmet, do I own one, the police recommends wearing one, not a (bright pink btw) woolen hat"
Ok, fair enough, had a chat with Mr. police man about "cannae be bothered on the commute to work because I don't really ride in traffic, feel quite safe on the whole segregate route, of descending Mt. Ventoux I would wear one, blah blah, have you ever looked into the actual testing of cycling helmets, and so on". All the while my friend the bike mechanic was killing himself laughing.
Now, this is not about the helmet, or I would have put it in the proper section.
What annoyed me to no end was that he started on me not wearing a hi-viz jacket or vest.
I pointed at my bright red cycling jacket, and the pink hat, and the bright daylight.
He said, no matter, drivers will always not see you, unless you wear hi-viz, look at me - he was wearing lots of reflective, of course.
That really made me fuming, told him to then go tell drivers to go to Specsavers if they cannot see a cyclist in a bright red jacket on a sunny morning.
Then he asks me if I want a map and my bike made safe by the bike doctor!
No thanks, could you make my local dual carriageway safe by on the spot speed checking instead?
This approach by the police to new commuters - I presume the campaign is aimed at them - is all wrong.
The impression the police conveys to inexperienced cyclists is that cycling is dangerous to no end, hopping on a bike to ride to your work could result in you being squashed and brain damaged even if you only do 5 miles on the segregated path.
Drivers will not see you!
Yeah, that's why I choose to share this path with joggers and dog walkers, could you please do something about the blind drivers, then I will don my yellow gear and ride the road instead.
Harumph, rant over ^_^
He thinks he is doing well, when in reality he is acting like a clichéd cock.

shame, they could have done some really good work there.

j

I'm amazed you actually stayed and talked to the Police even though it was fairly obvious they were there as a political tool and not actually attempting to make good on road safety offering common sense.

I admire your tenacity, if it was me it would have been a raised eyebrow, a grunt and then I'd have ridden off.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm amazed you actually stayed and talked to the Police even though it was fairly obvious they were there as a political tool and not actually attempting to make good on road safety offering common sense.

I admire your tenacity, if it was me it would have been a raised eyebrow, a grunt and then I'd have ridden off.

risky though, might have got busted for non-approved pedal reflectors

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
maybe they just felt the need to talk down to a mere civilian... they are the police after all.

Yes and I was a police officer as well, as are some of the guys on here. Police officers are also " mere civillians".

I would have asked the police officer where he got his directive from because it is wrong. If he decides to dress up in day glo, he has probably been told to. But we obviously dont have to, nor do we have to wear helmets. He should know that.

Unless you were doing something wrong he had no reason to stop and he had no authority to keep you there unless you agreed to stay.

Maybe they should be stopping all the cars and just saying to the drivers "Watch out for bikes".

U

User33236

This is from the same police force who, a number of years ago, told me off for stopping at a red traffic light at 6am! Apparently I should have used it as a 'give way'.

As for above. Wow! I'd love to see what, if any facts they have to support their 'recommendations'.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is from the same police force who, a number of years ago, told me off for stopping at a red traffic light at 6am! Apparently I should have used it as a 'give way'.

As for above. Wow! I'd love to see what, if any facts they have to support their 'recommendations'.

Really? They must have been having a trial run at the American system. I like the idea though. Red lights only count between the hours of midnight and 7.

Dan, your right. I think everyone needs educating. But educating about relevant things, not helmets and viz vests.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, there was a time when I was scared to be run over, there was a time when my bike skills needed improvement.
When I started commuting there was not many cyclists in my area, the few were in typical cyclist commuters gear, so I got the same.
A few years down the line, got some training, found safer routes, got myself very good lights, don't feel the need for hi-viz in bright daylight anymore.
Cycling here has boomed since I've started, lots have begun to use the local Boris bikes, you can see cyclists in normal clothes now, mixed with the lycra mob and the helmet-cam mob.
I don't feel the need to always wear safety gear because I feel competent on my commute route.
Frightening new commuters/utilitarian cyclists is sending the wrong message imo.

Top Bottom