I've been reprimanded by the police!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The police in Glasgow have these bollocks initiatives from time to time where they indulge in publicly victim-blaming cyclists.

Just take a look at this from their 'advice for cyclists' on their website.

Many accidents happen to cyclists because car drivers cannot see them until it is too late to stop.
If that's not turning responsibility on its head, I don't know what is.

Well done @Pat "5mph" for giving them a lesson!

GC

buggi

Bird Saviour
Pishing myself. Even before I read it... Pat got harassed by the cops!

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Pishing myself. Even before I read it... Pat got harassed by the cops!
When he wanted to send me to Dr. Bike (who I know very well, he was laughing his head off while adjusting someone's gears) I told Mr. policeman that " I am a Belle on Bikes, we are trained ride leaders and bike mechanics, don't you know??"
Well, he does not need to know that most Belles are just, ermm ... Belles on a bike :laugh:
Btw, I think another police officer was taking pictures! :unsure: :ph34r:

buggi

Bird Saviour
When he wanted to send me to Dr. Bike (who I know very well, he was laughing his head off while adjusting someone's gears) I told Mr. policeman that " I am a Belle on Bikes, we are trained ride leaders and bike mechanics, don't you know??"
Well, he does not need to know that most Belles are just, ermm ... Belles on a bike :laugh:
Btw, I think another police officer was taking pictures! :unsure: :ph34r:
I hope they have got your permission to use those publicity shots?

Sara_H

Guru
Today was a rare beautiful sunny morning in Glasgow. On emerging from the local park, heading towards the segregated path on the riverside, I see my friends from the Glasgow Bike station doing a Doctor bike, looking forward to say hi and have a wee chat.
From afar, I see lots of hi-viz, must be the police doing their bike marking.
No! Got stopped, asked "where is my helmet, do I own one, the police recommends wearing one, not a (bright pink btw) woolen hat"
Ok, fair enough, had a chat with Mr. police man about "cannae be bothered on the commute to work because I don't really ride in traffic, feel quite safe on the whole segregate route, of descending Mt. Ventoux I would wear one, blah blah, have you ever looked into the actual testing of cycling helmets, and so on". All the while my friend the bike mechanic was killing himself laughing.
Now, this is not about the helmet, or I would have put it in the proper section.
What annoyed me to no end was that he started on me not wearing a hi-viz jacket or vest.
I pointed at my bright red cycling jacket, and the pink hat, and the bright daylight.
He said, no matter, drivers will always not see you, unless you wear hi-viz, look at me - he was wearing lots of reflective, of course.
That really made me fuming, told him to then go tell drivers to go to Specsavers if they cannot see a cyclist in a bright red jacket on a sunny morning.
Then he asks me if I want a map and my bike made safe by the bike doctor!
No thanks, could you make my local dual carriageway safe by on the spot speed checking instead?
This approach by the police to new commuters - I presume the campaign is aimed at them - is all wrong.
The impression the police conveys to inexperienced cyclists is that cycling is dangerous to no end, hopping on a bike to ride to your work could result in you being squashed and brain damaged even if you only do 5 miles on the segregated path.
Drivers will not see you!
Yeah, that's why I choose to share this path with joggers and dog walkers, could you please do something about the blind drivers, then I will don my yellow gear and ride the road instead.
Harumph, rant over ^_^

You go girl! That would've got my goat!

U

User33236

I presume Pat "5mph" was standing in a public location where photographs could be taken without having to resort to long lenses or other invasive practices therefore, within the UK, no permission (model release) is required for the resultant images to be used providing the use in not in a defamatory way.

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not been asked, was too annoyed to inquire about the picture taking, then I had to shoot off to work.
I'll probably end up on some leaflet about "wrong cycling attire" :laugh:
Thing is, the new Glasgow Cycling officer, who was also my instructor, rides this route to his work. Wonder if they stopped him, must ask him :biggrin:

U

User33236

[QUOTE 3944100, member: 259"]Not exactly Taggart is it? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
Despite living south of the border for almost 13 years I still, quite frequently, get asked to say "there's been a murder" by the locals who find it highly amusing.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Can you imagine the Glasgow cops being faced with this? Their heads would explode!

GC

Fubar

Guru
Today was a rare beautiful sunny morning in Glasgow. On emerging from the local park, heading towards the segregated path on the riverside, I see my friends from the Glasgow Bike station doing a Doctor bike, looking forward to say hi and have a wee chat.
From afar, I see lots of hi-viz, must be the police doing their bike marking.
No! Got stopped, asked "where is my helmet, do I own one, the police recommends wearing one, not a (bright pink btw) woolen hat"
Ok, fair enough, had a chat with Mr. police man about "cannae be bothered on the commute to work because I don't really ride in traffic, feel quite safe on the whole segregate route, of descending Mt. Ventoux I would wear one, blah blah, have you ever looked into the actual testing of cycling helmets, and so on". All the while my friend the bike mechanic was killing himself laughing.
Now, this is not about the helmet, or I would have put it in the proper section.
What annoyed me to no end was that he started on me not wearing a hi-viz jacket or vest.
I pointed at my bright red cycling jacket, and the pink hat, and the bright daylight.
He said, no matter, drivers will always not see you, unless you wear hi-viz, look at me - he was wearing lots of reflective, of course.
That really made me fuming, told him to then go tell drivers to go to Specsavers if they cannot see a cyclist in a bright red jacket on a sunny morning.
Then he asks me if I want a map and my bike made safe by the bike doctor!
No thanks, could you make my local dual carriageway safe by on the spot speed checking instead?
This approach by the police to new commuters - I presume the campaign is aimed at them - is all wrong.
The impression the police conveys to inexperienced cyclists is that cycling is dangerous to no end, hopping on a bike to ride to your work could result in you being squashed and brain damaged even if you only do 5 miles on the segregated path.
Drivers will not see you!
Yeah, that's why I choose to share this path with joggers and dog walkers, could you please do something about the blind drivers, then I will don my yellow gear and ride the road instead.
Harumph, rant over ^_^

Hilarious, @Pat "5mph" gets her collar felt! Surprised you didn't call him a nobber. Do you think he'd been taken off traffic and was a bit grumpy at having to stand in a park giving advice to cyclists??

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not been asked, was too annoyed to inquire about the picture taking, then I had to shoot off to work.
I'll probably end up on some leaflet about "wrong cycling attire" :laugh:
Thing is, the new Glasgow Cycling officer, who was also my instructor, rides this route to his work. Wonder if they stopped him, must ask him :biggrin:
Somebody once came into my workplace and started snapping away without asking. Now my face is all over the website and I have to walk past posters of myself on the way into work. It's strange as I don't remember signing anything.

U

User33236

Somebody once came into my workplace and started snapping away without asking. Now my face is all over the website and I have to walk past posters of myself on the way into work. It's strange as I don't remember signing anything.
Probably some catch all clause in your contract.

Drago

Legendary Member
^^^ that's all well and good, bit the song motorists will all be indignantly demanding the feds leave the innocent car drivers alone go catch some slavering loon cyclists.

Top Bottom