I've been reprimanded by the police!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Are they stopping pedestrians and telling them to wear sensible flat shoes and a warm coat?
And are they getting their five a day, and going to bed at a sensible hour. I think you could be on to something here...

Dan B

Disengaged member
Well, I got told off by the police this morning too. Filtered to the front of a queue of traffic and found nowhere reasonable to tuck in between the two construction trucks at its head, so went in front of the front one (crossing the stop line, but short of the markers for the ped xing). Got told to move back across the stop line and wait alongside the truck by a police officer standing on the pavement. "I want to be sure he can see me", I said. "He'll be able to see you", she replies. On the one hand I wish I had her confidence. On the other, I'd rather not be dead. Didn't stop to discuss further because I thought it was more important to put some distance between me and it as soon as the lights went green.

Col5632

Guru
I really don't know what we would have to wear to be honest Colin. I was going along a quiet country road this morning and could see one of your pals, a postie van edging out of a side road looking beyond me at the road behind me but oblivious to me. I was wearing this jacket!
View attachment 106849
I slowed right down and kept staring at him until he eventually made eye contact at the last minute and grinned sheepishly and waited until I was past.

I suppose it won't matter what we wear if drivers are not 'trained' or used to seeing us there, maybe if we got more people cycling drivers would learn to look out for us more

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Well, I got told off by the police this morning too. Filtered to the front of a queue of traffic and found nowhere reasonable to tuck in between the two construction trucks at its head, so went in front of the front one (crossing the stop line, but short of the markers for the ped xing). Got told to move back across the stop line and wait alongside the truck by a police officer standing on the pavement. "I want to be sure he can see me", I said. "He'll be able to see you", she replies. On the one hand I wish I had her confidence. On the other, I'd rather not be dead. Didn't stop to discuss further because I thought it was more important to put some distance between me and it as soon as the lights went green.
If she was telling you to wait on the left hand side of the HGV, then she should be made to spend a month dealing with the broken bikes and dead bodies that this causes.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If she was telling you to wait on the left hand side of the HGV, then she should be made to spend a month dealing with the broken bikes and dead bodies that this causes.
Right hand side actually, but the road narrows on the other side of the junction so neither side is really the most comfortable place to wait

Dan B

Disengaged member
That would have been my first choice, but (as I said in the previous post) there was no space between it and the truck behind it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
That would have been my first choice, but (as I said in the previous post) there was no space between it and the truck behind it.
I'm not deliberately trying to be picky but my choice would then have been behind the 2nd truck. I'm not a nervous cyclist but I tend to give them as much room as they need and prefer them to just get out of my way.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
That's cretinous. Seriously.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
pathat.jpg

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
He'll be able to see you", she replies.
The Police should really make up their mind on how they advise cyclists to behave on the road.
I should be wearing hi-viz on a bright morning because drivers won't see me, while you should be confident to be seen stationary alongside a lorry.
Meh!

Top Bottom