I've been reprimanded by the police!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last time I was stopped was by the MOD police .....,to be informed that their Inspector would like words

He as questioning the legality of my bright lights

So I explained that I had a set of BS lights to make the bike legal and the bright ones were only a backup

He then told me that he had never thought of it like that and we then discussed the lights and a week later he was using a similar combination

snorri

Legendary Member
As if Stephen House hasn't got enough on his plate already:rolleyes:.
Our Pat "5mph" deserves an award for restraint in the face of uniformed buffoonery:sad:.

subaqua

What’s the point
Point out the the nice man that the DfTs own figures show no reduction in casualties among road workers that corresponds with the use of hi vis garments.

because PPE is the last line of defence. we put other measures in like closing lanes, reducing speed limits , average speed cameras.

do you have a link as that would be good for use in work during safety planning

boydj

Legendary Member
There is a lot of ignorance and strange views on cycling in those in authority in Glasgow. I recently attended a refresher course run by the council to allow me to assist in Bikeability training up to level 2 in schools (I qualified as a Bikeability trainer a few years ago and never used the training). I only lasted about ten minutes when I questioned the need for helmets and hi-viz to do low speed manoeuvres in the park. Apparently the risk assessment had decreed that these were necessary.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps he's back in Italy already?

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Maybe, but I reckon he's now up in Glasgow discussing bicycle affairs with fellow Italian @Pat "5mph"
As a matter of fact, I keep seeing a fellow riding no handed on my route ... maybe it's him? :laugh:
Joking aside, I'm still a bit peeved at the hi-viz thing.
Understand that a helmet could be seen as a safety precaution if you ride in heavy traffic and/or are inexperienced, but why should a cyclist wear hi-viz in broad daylight because drivers "won't see you"?
How did the policeman not realize this is so wrong, he should have been embarrassed to say it! :cursing:

Dan B

Disengaged member
It wouldn't happen in London.
Actually there have been Police Constable Shaped Objects out in force on a couple of junctions on my commute to work the last two days. I saw they'd stopped at least one cyclist (I presume for RLJ), I didn't see any of the ASL offenders in motor vehicles coming to grief but perhaps I was just there at the wrong time.

buggi

Bird Saviour
wp_ss_20151010_0001.png

Top Bottom