Jan Akkermann Gig - a bit of a disappointment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Last night I met up with some pals and went to see Jan Akkerman at the Duchess in York. He's assembled a fine band around himself but unfortunately he couldn't sustain his mastery of the guitar throughout the gig.

When he 'played the dots' he was brilliant when he improvised and attempted to show high speed virtuosity, the performance fell apart a bit. For an encore he mangled a Paul Weller song.

In contrast, the night before, I saw Huun Huur Tu - a throat singing group from Tuvu. They delivered a superb performance that showcased their talents and their interpretation of the cultural influences upon their music. I was mesmerised by the Kargyraa a percussion instrument fashioned from a bull's scrotum and sheeps knee bones :smile:

I bought one of their live CDs and a disco mix CD to torture my family with.

Samples of throat singing can be found here and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqiOMdoP2c&feature=player_embedded

Mr Pig

vernon said:
Samples of throat singing can be found here and here

If that was in English it would be my mother-in-law!

Proto

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
Sorry to hear about Jan Akkerman. I loved Focus but never got to see them live.

Yeah, shame when your heroes disappoint. Saw them at Manchester Poly, in 1974, or therabouts. Top gig if my memory serves me correctly.

Goods news though, is that Spinal Tap have just announced they are stepping back into the ring with a single gig 'World Tour'

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Uncle Mort said:
Sorry to hear about Jan Akkerman. I loved Focus but never got to see them live.

I did back in the late seventies at Newcastle City Hall. There is a gulf between Jan Akkerman then and now...

The disappointment with Jan Akkerman's gig was comfortably exceeded by the appalling performance by Chuck Berry who played a 40 minute set with no encore around 1977 at Newcastle City Hall - I've still not forgiven him.....

Top Bottom