Jens Voigt..Withdrawn.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Team Saxo-Bank website confirms he is not as badly hurt as we might have thought - http://www.team-saxobank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=2434

Jens Voigt Is OK Under The Circumstances

[21.07 21:56] An examination at the University hospital in Grenoble this evening has initially given positive reports on Jens Voigt's health after the nasty crash during today's stage of Tour de France. He has incurred a fracture of the right cheekbone and a concussion. For now he is staying at the hospital for further observation.

Jens has sent this greeting to the team:
"I think I was very lucky not getting severely hurt from today's crash. Now I hope that you can focus on the race and I wish you all good luck with the hard stage tomorrow”.

The whole team in France and the whole staff at Riis-Cycling wish Jens Voigt a speedy recovery and hope to see him and his strong and joyful spirit back on the team soon.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Horrid crash. Looked particularly bad at the time as he didn't slide very far and more kind of went wham onto the shoulder and head area at speed. Glad he's doing better than might been otherwise and quick riding by that motorbike rider!

onthe_road

Andy Schleck's tweet:

Jens is okay he is not in danger get stitches an broken cheekbone but he told us to kick a... Next days with a smile

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
He seemed to hit a bump in the road which lifted his rear wheel clean off the surface of the road... when it landed again there seemed to be a millisecond (or few) and then it just slid from under him. I'm of the opinion that it somehow damaged the QR and shunted the wheel into the frame/brakes, then when it touched down again it wasn't spinning freely... he went down hard!

Mac66

Typical Jens - all mashed up and saying to his team not to worry and to get on with it.

Probably one of the most selfless, hard working, nicest guys in the pro peleton.

Wish we could send him a collective e-card or something.

Hope youu are back on the road soon Jens

Bigtwin

I guess he must have been concussed too, as otherwise I'd expect him, his jib being cut as it is, to have slapped on some band-aid over the stitches and what-not and carried on!

Renard

They reckon he was doing about 50mph when he hit the deck. I am so glad he's ok. One of my favourite riders for work rate never mind anything else.

onthe_road

Mac66 said:
Wish we could send him a collective e-card or something.

There is a page on the saxo bank cycling website. I don't understand danish so I hope my message didn't go into "complaints" :rofl:
but if any else wants to send big Jens a get well soon note this is the link:

http://www.team-saxobank.com/email.asp?recep=9

yenrod

Thats one of those freak accidents seems like it was a raised side of 'white line' - bless Jens soul he was wearing a helmet - front right he hit down on...i once hit my face on the road f&*^ing hurt big time...i hope he is on some good stuff tonight ! :rofl:

yello

yenrod said:
Thats one of those freak accidents seems like it was a raised side of 'white line'

I wondered that. The front wheel seemed to just slide away. He took more-or-less the same line as others, crossed the same bit of banding on the road...yet there was no sign of problem for them. It was just weird.

The rear appeared to lift too, then the front slid away... I even wondered if some drink from one of the previous riders had spilt on the white line and he'd slid on it.

I'm just pleased he's not got anything seriously injured. He'll look a bit of a mess I'm sure but that's to be expected.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's very unfortunate for him and it will a shame to lose such a never-say-die attacking rider from the rest of the race - as Bigtwin said, it was probably only the fact that he was actually unconscious that stopped just getting back on the bike and carrying on! I hope he makes a quick recovery.

yello

Interesting quote from here

The three official Tour regulators--those who position themselves behind different groups within the race to monitor the racing--were very critical of Voigt's equipment. "They are using deep-profile carbon wheels and they are just too stiff," said Francois Lemarchand, a one-time teammate to Greg LeMond and now one of the Tour's three regulators. "You combine that with the stiff carbon frames and it is just too rigid. They can't absorb any shock."

Top Bottom