Joy of Motoring....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
cheadle hulme said:
I've just had a look inside my BMW and it looks like mine has indicator stalk too!
Well I never; previous owner must have specified it as an option. Not sure how it works though.

Rare commodity that on a BMW. You need to make sure that you use it sparingly, or you will give BMW drivers a bad name. :angry:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Rigid Raider said:
Try driving a Land Rover - you'll be amazed what drops off (and it keeps going!)
When driving old Series Land Rovers:

I've had the gear stick snap off on me while driving in traffic. I was stuck in 4th and had to use the hi/low range lever to change gear.

I've had the starter motor fall off and I had to spend the rest of the week at work with a starting handle to start it, great fun when it stalls in traffic.

I was on the M4 doing 70mph when the front wheel bearing melted and disintergrated after unseen damage from an off road event. The wheel carried on running on the drive shaft until that welded itself to the stub axle and sheared off. It carried on running on the remains of the bearing until I could safely pull over on the hard shoulder. When I jacked it up to see what the rumble was the wheel finally fell off.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
but at least it does work...:rofl::smile:

The 2CV works. And at least when anything does go wrong, it can be fixed with a spanner, as opposed to having to have an entire new engine plus computer chip....:rofl:

Globalti

Legendary Member
In the EU there's a huge business in exporting "fairly used" cars to Africa. There's even a special ro-ro ship that goes out full of used cars and trucks and comes back empty. The favourites are Mercedes cars because they're tough and prestigious, following that come Hondas, Peugeots and Toyotas. One consequence is that you seldom see old cars on European roads, unlike in the UK where our RH steering excludes us from the biggest export markets.

However as cars become more sophisticated the bush mechanic is becoming redundant as you can't fix them by turning them on their sides on a couple of tyres and welding them by the roadside. It's going to become a big problem. When I source generators, trucks and fork lifts for Nigerian customers thay always ask for older, low-tech models.

Davidc

Guru
Paulus said:
Could that be why so many people don't use them?

No, it's just that they're optional extras on most cars, and car buyers prefer to spend the money on __________. (Please complete appropriately)

BTW 2CVs are great cars. Your friend has good taste Arch.

U

User482

And of course, a 2CV can transport a basket of eggs across a field, without them breaking.

Davidc

Guru
User482 said:
And of course, a 2CV can transport a basket of eggs across a field, without them breaking.

I thought that was the DS?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:

You know the best bit? Along with Craft Craft, the village we went to houses our favourite supplier of free range eggs, so guess what we brought back...?

We didn't drive across a field, true, but my friend's husband has done that (in a top hat, the idea being that the same car could transport the farmer and wife to church in hats on a Sunday) and taken photos, one of which apparently ebded up on the Beeb website somewhere.

Top Bottom