just me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I regularly ride with my local club and love it to the point that I am away this weekend (with my bike) but can't be arsed to go out as I get bored on my own.

Is it just me?
You don't need to join...or ride in a club.

I prefer to ride with friends than on my own as well.

Part of the enjoyment of cycling for me is the enjoyment of sharing the experiences.

I'll happily commute all week on my own but that's more of a function than an an experience.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I prefer to ride on my own if I want to go for a hard ride. I can then go as far and as fast as I feel like, at the time.
I don't like large group rides but I do quite enjoy a steady, no pressure, ride out with one or two mates.

jay clock

Massive member
I have best of both worlds in that I have a mailing list of 70+ that I invite on my rides but with very specific instructions about speed (23-24kmh average). Too fast or too slow will not enjoy it is the hint. I get at least one person with me, and up to 10 occasionally

The other plus point is that it starts outside my door....

Firestorm

Veteran
Th
thats it exactly. I'm in Leigh and I can head to shoeburyness then out to Gt Wakerig and canewdon and loop round towards rayleigh and battlesbridge and back via hadleigh, or I can head to hadleigh and do it in reverse!

when Im in North Wales I can basically turn left and have the welsh hills or turn right and have the cheshire plains
That's the one !! At this time of the year I avoid the sea front, so really limited, those rivers really limit the options..

Avoid the cliques and just enjoy the bike.
I have Social Anxiety Disorder anyway,so where I ride ,I hardly see a soul .Which is great.
Although it's just a stroke of luck I don't bump into many people,as I was expecting to meet many.
I joined a Mountain bike club long time ago,and it was one big competition to see who had the most expensive parts/bike.
If I bought a new stem for example,you can be sure someone would have a more expensive one the next week.
We used to meet up in a community centre,a guy used to tell us what competitions etc were on .
Then instead of everyone riding together,small groups used to piss off in several directions,leaving me ( billy no mates) to ride myself.
Talking of competitions ,it was the only reason I joined ,as you had to have a membership of a club.
Bitter ?
Me ?
Damn right.

grellboy

Über Member
I know what you mean, I am East of Southend and the routes only really open up after 10 miles from home (if you take the straight forward main roads, or 15 if you take the less busy routes.
Sure, you can throw in a few different loops for variety , but all roads lead to Battlesbridge and over a a while it can get a bit much , the same cyclists overtaking you every Sunday morning..
Whilst this might be going off on a tangent, I am in a similar situation. I live on the coast in the middle of the Norfolk Broads - on an island in effect - and regardless if I make the route or let my Garmin choose, I really don't have a great choice locally as the sea and the lack of bridges mean I normally have to ride for 20 miles first before I get anywhere near new territory!

Top Bottom