Just Six Months For Killing A Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

So you'd suggest the deceased person's family take out a civil case against the driver ?
Maybe some campaigning body (like the CTC ?) could offer underwrite the costs of such actions?
That should provide an element of "deterrence" over and above the current (lenient ? ) criminal sentences.
:evil:

If the CPS feel there is enough evidence to take the case to court and the driver is found guilty, then that is the normal procedure for seeking recompense.

There are a few more serious laws which someone can be prosecuted by...but it is down to whether they think they can make them stick in front of a jury.

albion

Guru
"For whatever reason Miss Lumley-Holmes cannot recollect the incident "
" a vulnerable defendant who had suffered an abusive childhood, her teenage years in care"

I could sum it up the defence as 'she was always destined to be a crappy driver so you have to expect a death or two.'

Dan B

Disengaged member
So you'd suggest the deceased person's family take out a civil case against the driver ?
Maybe some campaigning body (like the CTC ?) could offer underwrite the costs of such actions?
That should provide an element of "deterrence" over and above the current (lenient ? ) criminal sentences.
:evil:
Er, isn't that the fundamental basis on which insurance works? You claim against someone for negligence, establish on the balance of evidence that they were not exercising due care, then the court awards you compensation for damage or loss sustained and their insurers write a cheque on their behalf

Sara_H

Guru
Given that we know absolutely nothing about the circumstances of the case beyond the report in a pressure group's website, this is just pointless speculation. She appears to have been given a sentence close to the maximum for those circumstances - look at the detailed sentencing guidelines here. http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_causing_death_by_driving_definitive_guideline.pdf
I used to spend a fair bit of time in the criminal courts. Just because barristers warble on about the defendant's charitable works, and it gets reported, that doesn't mean that the judge lets it affect the sentence.
http://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news...fter-death-crash-in-bury-st-edmunds-1-5798923

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
She should be banned from driving for a very long time, if not forever. A jail sentence would be handy too. Not that it will bring the victim back, but it might just sharpen up drivers observation skills if they were to read about her getting 5 years in prison. As it stands, they will continue to drive around not giving a toss because if they kill someone they will get a short ban and might have to spend a few hours cutting a pensioners grass.
British justice across the board just stinks.

Agree that, in the circumstance, a driving ban would be appropriate. But I don't like your comment "A jail sentence would be handy too"

Handy for whom? Your idea that giving her a custodial sentence would result in drivers being more vigilant is naïve in the extreme

Brandane

Legendary Member
Agree that, in the circumstance, a driving ban would be appropriate. But I don't like your comment "A jail sentence would be handy too"

Handy for whom? Your idea that giving her a custodial sentence would result in drivers being more vigilant is naïve in the extreme
I was thinking along the lines of deterrent value. Not sure about others, but the prospect of a jail term doesn't fill me with joy. I tend to concentrate while driving, but some don't. If they thought that a jail term might be the result, then maybe, just maybe, they would pay more attention to the road and less to their phones and other distractions.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was thinking along the lines of deterrent value. Not sure about others, but the prospect of a jail term doesn't fill me with joy. I tend to concentrate while driving, but some don't. If they thought that a jail term might be the result, then maybe, just maybe, they would pay more attention to the road and less to their phones and other distractions.
To be honest, the prospect of killing someone doesn't fill me with joy and that's what keeps me driving (hopefully) safely. I fear that the reckless drivers (and I don't necessarily count Ms Lumley Holmes in this category) would continue being reckless regardless of how long we sent her to prison

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Here is an even worse case IMO - the driver was short sighted, with no glasses, when he killed a pedestrian on a zebra crossing!!
These people are driving amongst us!!!!
This case flies in the face of that theory, then. Six years for throwing away a cigarette?
You aren't comparing eggs with eggs?
This is deliberate arson with intent to destroy property and endanger life.
I doubt anyone who suggest the driver intended to kill the cyclist.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You aren't comparing eggs with eggs?
This is deliberate arson with intent to destroy property and endanger life.
I doubt anyone who suggest the driver intended to kill the cyclist.
That's my point though, it wasn't deliberate arson (although accidentally starting a fire in English law seems to count as arson. In Scotland it is reckless fire-raising).
The guy has a mental age of 14 and throws his cigarette into a bin, which then catches fire and destroys the factory.
The driver who killed the cyclist was driving along a straight road in good weather, yet managed to kill a cyclist. Her actions were far more reckless IMHO..

Ganymede

Veteran

Musing further on "good people", I've always felt there was a self-righteous strain among certain politicians who take the moral high ground. OK, I mean Tony Blair. This is the syllogism:

"I am a good person; good people do good thing.... therefore the things that I do are good by definition". Dangerous.

In danger of going off-topic here, but it's like the judge has applied this logic to a third person, ie the perp.

stowie

Legendary Member
The thing for me is that the woman who killed the cyclist can be as nice a person as you will ever meet, but it doesn't detract from the fact that her level of driving caused the death of someone whilst driving in conditions that looked like they were almost perfect.

If your ability to control a vehicle on a straight road, in the daytime, in good weather is so poor that it causes the death of someone else then, simply for the sake of safety, you should not be driving again. The level of competence falls so far below what should be expected that I doubt any amount of time of training would make a difference.

Top Bottom