Kennington. LCC and TfL foolishness. Now it's personal.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Apologies if I have misunderstood your point of view. Care to explain what it is?
I want safe and attractive space for cycling for everyone. I don't care if that's achieved through cycleways, quieter roads, modal filtering, motor traffic reduction, presumed liability or what... probably we're going to get a mix of them and some sooner than others.

I worry that this is attractive but may not be safer. They've built it anyway, so let's all push for monitoring?

Riders are reporting guaranteed conflict with buses at both of the Northbound exits from segregation. On Kennington Road and Kennington Park Road buses to the right of the cycle lane are released at the same as cyclists. On both roads a bus stop is situated on the left just beyond the segregation. The bus stops are just beyond the area covered by the junction redevelopment.

Here is a video from CycleGaz of the Kennington Park Road conflict:

mjr

OK, that's two authorities to injure cyclists by botching that layout (Brighton and London). Can we get national instruction or does localism mean every highway authority gets to maim a few cyclists?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I want safe and attractive space for cycling for everyone. I don't care if that's achieved through cycleways, quieter roads, modal filtering, motor traffic reduction, presumed liability or what... probably we're going to get a mix of them and some sooner than others.

I worry that this is attractive but may not be safer. They've built it anyway, so let's all push for monitoring?
let's push for our money back - and the return of the cycle lanes to the footpath

Pete Owens

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/betterjunctions/oval/user_uploads/oval-consultation-drawing.pdf

This is utterly, utterly moronic. For those of you who don't know the junction - it's not unusual for forty cyclists to be waiting at a light - now to be squeezed in to a two metre wide cycle lane. And diverted around the back of a bus stop. And made to wait at a light. Good going, LCC.....

Presumably you are one of the 40%:
http://road.cc/content/news/171701-...ng-commissioner-and-lying-reporter-over-cycle

subaqua

What’s the point
different junction.....

in fairness the old Vauxhall cycle path was unused. 40% would be a considerable underestimate. I used the new cycle path a couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity. It's kind of rubbish.

Is it dangerous as well, like CS2 is now it has been " improved" for segregationist nobbers. Criticise them though and wait for all the holland bollox they trot out.

subaqua

What’s the point
You've noticed that too?
Oh yes.

Apparently segregation everywhere there . And it improves everything .

There is a place for segregation. Lanes alongside dual carriageways that are motorways in all but name, and motorways.

But not along arterial routes like the mile end road. With countless junctions that I can't protect myself at by riding in a primary. But apparently only the strong and fit ride primary. ( I am neither to be honest )

mjr

Do you enjoy making stuff up to argue against, @subaqua? CS2 is dangerously defective in places like the junction you got hooked and I think even most people who like Dutchish infrastructure would agree. It's yet another example of where part-doing something is worse than not doing it :sad:

And the usual accusation is "the fit and the brave" (two groups) and I think you're brave :smile: given how crap management and policing of London's roads has been for ages.

Top Bottom