Kuota Kharma 09 and a Trek 1.5 WSD Stolen!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I know it's been said but leaving a £2000 bike anywhere for any length of time is crazy, especially in London. I've had several attempts to break the lock on my £180 commuter when I leave in in Norwich city centre. The world appears to be full of bicycle theiving scumbags unfortunately - probably because the law practically encourages it. A serial offender might at best get a few hours community service but will most likely walk away with a £50 fine!

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

We have insurance so replacements are on their way. I will not be locking my bike anywhere again. That was the first and last time.

p.s. the ad is still on gumtree and they've dropped the price. I did send an email to them but they've since taken off their hidden email address. I guess it is a matter of turning up and wandering around Brick Lane.

http://www.gumtree.com/london/07/44187207.html

e-rider

crappy member
If you have insurance then I wouldn't even bother looking for it as you might end up getting beaten up or even killed by these scumbags.

My advice on tracking the bike down yourself was only if you had no insurance and were desperate to get it back, but just claim for new bikes and learn from the experience.

e-rider

crappy member
Just looked at the ad, I'm not a betting man but I would put my money on that being your bike from what you've told us!

Have you called the number? You could arrange a viewing and then beat the shoot out of them (and get your bike back). You'd probably end up in jail though, and I'm not keen on violence (except when it comes to bike thieves)

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

The number doesn't work and they've taken the email off of the advert.
Being that I am not small and can handle myself well, I would relish the chance to meet and view the bike. But these people don't return calls or emails.

From reading the experience of others on stolen bike forums, people who have followed up on Gumtree ads, even if the they sight their bikes and call the police it can be very difficult to get the bike back. (one guy did http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37562 and kudos to him for lifting our spirits on this depressing forum)

There are only two authorised Kuota bike sellers in London. I bought my bike from one and went to the other over the weekend (who were disappointing in their attitude when I tried to register my frame serial number with them). I thought that if someone is stupid enough to take the bike in for a service, I could get the IBS to notify the police. The shop I purchased it from are hot on this I am glad to report.

I think the best way is to make sure one's bike is insured, period. With photographs of the bike with the final kit and the frame serial number you will know you have the basics in place to ride it. I also have personal indemnity in case of some idiot in a motor vehicle or a novice rider not respecting my space or the rules and etiquette of the road.

I also have a philosophy that it is just a material item which can be replaced. My lady and I look to the future and getting our shiny new bikes by this bank holiday weekend so we can ride off into the sun. Ahh.

Erm... location is down as 'brick lane' so perhaps they are operating out of there and expect you to pop down and have a look if you are interested rather than doing the deal over the phone/net?

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

MacB said:
I like the idea of having bike shops check a stolen bike registry against any bikes they work on.

Yeah, me too. If you buy a stolen watch, like a Rolex for example and try to get it serviced, the servicer will not return the watch to you and notify the police.

I would pay small a one-off fee for this service if all the major bikes shops signed up for it.

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

SavageHoutkop said:
Erm... location is down as 'brick lane' so perhaps they are operating out of there and expect you to pop down and have a look if you are interested rather than doing the deal over the phone/net?

I have notified GumTree that they are being used to market (potentially a high amount of) stolen goods. It seems like the police aren't interested unless you investigate it yourself, find the bike and then call them.

e-rider

crappy member
You're expecting to get replacement bikes by the bank holiday weekend! When my bike was stolen a few years back it took 8 months to get the £800 for a replacement.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And what was Gumtrees response?

principalm said:
I have notified GumTree that they are being used to market (potentially a high amount of) stolen goods. It seems like the police aren't interested unless you investigate it yourself, find the bike and then call them.

OP
OP
Kuota M

Kuota M

tundragumski said:
You're expecting to get replacement bikes by the bank holiday weekend! When my bike was stolen a few years back it took 8 months to get the £800 for a replacement.

thankfully my insurers paid out in under 24 hours.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Kuota M -

Have had the very same experience as you- in fact did the whole detective leg work, contacted the fuzz and they did sweet FA - in fact the CID officer hung up on me several times and told me 'It's not murder', whist I was in the police station waiting and watching them divert every person coming in my bike got sold. I posted on this forum about my stolen bike. Sounds like the sellers on Gumtree are wary.

Hope you both get your replacements this weekend.

Though I am very suprised to hear that you only got a silver rated lock?
People laugh at my overlocking of my bike now but it's a good way to protect a high value bike as sometimes it's just not possible to not leave a bike out - in fact my work due to security reasons don't allow bikes within the site.

if you want to know how fragile d locks are -google picking or breaking kryptonite d locks.

Top Bottom