Laptop or Notebook?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
What is CAD please?

i realise that i'm seriously out of my depth on pc talk. Never owned or used a laptop, apart from a quick mess with a mate's.

This desktop i'm using is very old and is slowly dying. Needs hard drive wiping, and passing on to children.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Dell Inspiron 15 laptop. £329 with 3GB RAM and Windows Vista - maybe in red?

or perhaps Inspiron Mini 10v 1GB RAM and Windows XP for £249

or get the Inspiron Mini 10v with Linux for £199 then use your own XP disks to install XP on it (not sure how easy this is though - so don't take my word for it :biggrin:

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
That Dell at £329 looks pretty impressive cisamcgu. i'm almost decided on it - 3 gig of ram sounds splendid, and 15" is plenty big enough.

This desktop thing i'm using has 1 gig, so a massive all round improvement should result.

i'm sort of dithering, holding the debit card tightly..

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The inspirons have improved quite a bit since vista launched and someone I know bought one. The person I know who got one was a nice enough system, they are quite a bit better than that now too :smile:.

P.S. redcogs if you wanted a warranty dell are normally quite liberal on this. You don't have to get one immediately and a month after you buy it they'll ring you up asking if you do.

wouldn't the purchase of such an item be an example of capitalist consumerism and against every principle you stand for? :smile:

perhaps you should wait for the state-owned laptop to make it's way to you via the proletariat in about, ooo, 17 years?

:tongue:

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
i suppose i could hold out until the newly founded workers state offers decent fully specced laptops for all (along with the compulsory Rohloff equipped bikes) but, at 58, my chances of still being around to see that glorious time seem a little remote.. In the interim, do Northern Rock produce a laptop?

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
marinyork said:
The inspirons have improved quite a bit since vista launched and someone I know bought one. The person I know who got one was a nice enough system, they are quite a bit better than that now too :smile:.

P.S. redcogs if you wanted a warranty dell are normally quite liberal on this. You don't have to get one immediately and a month after you buy it they'll ring you up asking if you do.

marin, forgive me, but i have read this a couple of times, and (unusually for your posts which always make sense) i'm still finding it a little mysterious.

Are you trying to indicate that you have an inspiron, and there is money to be saved by not taking out a warranty? Surely a warranty of a year is available on all products?

Please clarify.

Carwash

Señor Member
redcogs said:
i suppose i could hold out until the newly founded workers state offers decent fully specced laptops for all (along with the compulsory Rohloff equipped bikes) but, at 58, my chances of still being around to see that glorious time seem a little remote.. In the interim, do Northern Rock produce a laptop?

You could buy it from John Lewis. :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
redcogs said:
marin, forgive me, but i have read this a couple of times, and (unusually for your posts which always make sense) i'm still finding it a little mysterious.

Are you trying to indicate that you have an inspiron, and there is money to be saved by not taking out a warranty? Surely a warranty of a year is available on all products?

Please clarify.

It probably was nonsense. I don't have an inspiron, I have another Dell laptop. Someone else has one and that is a nice enough system, I was saying things have improved a great deal since then.

The warranty, yes, Dell offer that. They also offer various other warranties for much longer lengths of time. It was that which I was referring to. Dell will ring up after a month or so and ask if you wanted a longer one, a very reasonable way of doing things rather than in the past where brands insisted you took out a warranty immediately. At one bit the Dell warranties particularly for 3 and 4 years compared very well with other companies, they seem to have gone downhill a bit in that respect since.

twowheelsgood

I probably use a netbook 80% of the time. Unfortunately, it isn't really an option as an "only pc". At least not yet and definitely not on it's own.

It's easy enough to add an external monitor for home use and usb keyboard but you'd still need a bit more horsepower for some applications and definitely better graphics.

Still, in a generation or two (of computers, not people), it'll probably be the best option and we just then pair whatever clumsy device for human interaction we need.

There is already wireless HDMI for example, which you could just pair your 'puter up with your big TV like you link your phone to your desktop.

Mr Pig

Ben Lovejoy said:
17" laptops with decent resolution are almost certainly out of Redcog's budget range.

I'm looking at one now that cost me £370.

HP laptops seem to be pretty solid just now, these things change all the time. I'll give my mate a call and let you know.

OP
OP
redcogs

redcogs

Guru
Hi Mr Pig, i'm hoping to get an order in fairly soon, maybe for a dell (there is an inspiron with 15" screen which has 4gig mem and, i understand, a good 'clock' for £390, which appeals).

But, if you have anything available to you with a similar spec etc i may well be interested, i'm not sure about a massive screen though. Cheers.

Mr Pig

He's going to get back to me about the big HP laptops tomorrow, he's supplied a few of them but doesn't know if he can get any more. They are a good bit better than the Inspiron for similar money.

Trust me, if it's mainly for use in the house you'll be glad you got a big screen. I would not go back to 15'' now. My son now has a 24'' screen, it's fantastic!

Top Bottom