Laughing at stupid foreigners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What gets my goat is these fancy coffee places, i do like coffee but strong and black is all i need so i order a black coffee and they always ask if i want milk with it ?
Mrs CK likes "costa lotta " is why i end up in those sort of places before you ask .
"Mrs CK"? Shouldn't that be Cyberdame?

in Dieppe in 1999, a group of us Lancastrians are trying to order some food at a burger bar... three of us speak very bad French, one speaks good Italian... and faced with three of us trying to order in pigeon French and one ordering in Italian, the perplexed owner cast us an exasperated look and asked "What country are you from?"

"er... England." we sheepishly replied.

"OK, so lets try speaking English shall we?" he suggested.

Why didn't we think of that? :blush:

In Monchen Gladbach, station I asked in my best phrasebook german for two tickets to Koln, and the guy behind the desk replied "Yes SIr, first or second class?" in perfect english

I found that many germans would talk in english, providing ou made the effort to speak in german first

yello

I found that many germans would talk in english, providing ou made the effort to speak in german first

I lived in Hamburg for nearly a year in the 90s. It was difficult practice my German because those Germans that weren't fluent wanted to practice their English! (btw, my course got cancelled, leaving me to self-tutor). I can safely say that after a year in Germany, I spoke no German :sad:

Whilst I was at uni (x many decades ago), my now husband and I organised a long distance walk (West Highland Way) and were joined by a number of other students including a really nice American student. We had insisted that he reserve a seat with us on the train which was useful because the previous train had been cancelled and there was no room on the train at all, not even standing room, the isles being full of people sitting on their luggage and you had to climb over these people to make it to the toilets etc.

As we were going up through the borders, in a standard loud American accent he asked "what are those white things in the field?" .
the entire carriage very quickly went silent... At a loss as to what he was referring to because there was only one thing it could be, I asked "err, do you mean the sheep?". He had never seen one before. It was an interesting walk with him!

Another time whilst I was a volunteer relief warden in a youth hostel, 2 set of overseas guests (both couples) were sitting in the sitting/dining room come reception (only a small hostel and I was the only warden) all talking English to each other and struggling with some of the words looking them up in their own dictionaries. After about 15 minutes I had chance to eavesdrop on the conversation. I was apparently that only person who had noticed that both couples had the same dictionary at hand (OK I had also registered them, but...) and were periodically looking up English words to use for the conversation.:blush: Eventually I had to ask them why, when both sets of couples were from the same country, they were struggling to communicate with each other in English! Much laughter ensued and dictionaries were put aside as they very quickly worked out they lived less than 5km away from each other!

Ganymede

Veteran
As we were going up through the borders, in a standard loud American accent he asked "what are those white things in the field?" .
the entire carriage very quickly went silent... At a loss as to what he was referring to because there was only one thing it could be, I asked "err, do you mean the sheep?". He had never seen one before. It was an interesting walk with him!
It's true that you almost never get offered lamb in the US, it's all pork, chicken, beef - they don't raise much lamb, especially outside of the more temperate northern states. If I have Americans to stay I always do roast lamb as it's a rarity for them. I have to say, I think most of them could identify an actual sheep if they saw one! I have one New Yorker friend who times her visits to England in the Spring specifically so she can coo over the little baa-lambs - makes her sound sillier than she is but she used to live in England and misses seeing them, and we are surrounded by fields and fields of them.

Cold

My Wife who is American saw her first sheep when she came over here in 2003.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I worked on an archaeology field school in Ireland with some American students. We stayed in a big self catering guest house, and they were fascinated by the washing machine, a standard front loader. Apparently in the US they are all top loaders. I found two of them sitting on the floor in front of it, with popcorn, watching the washing go round.

MisterStan

Label Required
I worked on an archaeology field school in Ireland with some American students. We stayed in a big self catering guest house, and they were fascinated by the washing machine, a standard front loader. Apparently in the US they are all top loaders. I found two of them sitting on the floor in front of it, with popcorn, watching the washing go round.
'And just around the next corner, we have paint drying....'

Ganymede

Veteran
That's hilarious. There must have been something in that popcorn...
"Duuuuuude... like, totally a circle in a spiral... maaaan"

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I am used to sheep, but I live near enough to them, I suppose. Lamb is prodigiously expensive in the U.S., Goat is unheard of, unless you have connections with people in agriculture, or in the Latino Community. But Mrs. GA is a fine cook, and lamb is always a good choice for a special meal. So are Cornish Pasties. As for front loading washing machines, you guys must have some really interesting Americans over there, never to have seen a front loading washing machine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom