Laughing at stupid foreigners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think they're all from Iowa.
9bf27c95b3a8d38b974910d320bb8f05.jpg

Amana washers are too, but I think Iowans view them with fear and trepidation, rather like a Dalek. Exterminate!

Ganymede

Veteran
[QUOTE 3146411, member: 259"]One big problem English for speakers when they try and speak French is saying (or understanding when someone else says) any number above 69 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
This is soooo true. I speak fluent French but when I have to say "80" I grind to a halt. It's a mad system. Russian is even worse, I learned it years ago but have forgotten most of it so I won't go into details.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, soixante-dix for seventy, quatre-vignt for eighty and quatre-vignt dix for ninety - it's terrible. The Belgians have it easier with septante and nonante but, confusingly, stick with quatre-vignt for 80.

yello

Speaking of time, is it the Americans that say 'quarter of' for what the Brits call quarter to'. As I recall, 'quarter to' causes confusion in the US.

Ganymede

Veteran
Apparently there's no difference in French between "thank you very much" and "thank you, nice arse"
Only if you arse up your vowel sounds.

fimm

Veteran
People interested by the differences between British and American English might enjoy this blog:
http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.co.uk/

My boyfriend's Dad is Austrian and his Mum is British - boyfriend and his sister grew up speaking both languages and the parents are fluent in the language that isn't their native one, if you see what I mean. Anyway they were on holiday near Lake Garda and there was a rather large woman and boyfriend's Dad, thinking she was American, made some less than complimentary comment in German. It turned out she was a fat German...

[QUOTE 3148078, member: 45"]A friend of mine lived in China for 7 years. On a plane home once he needed a pen. He asked a flight attendant if he could borrow hers, but the word he thought meant pen actually meant ladybits.[/QUOTE]
I've heard this too, and a very bad word for lady bits at that! Apparently its the same word, same letter pronunciation but a different tone/inflection.

Top Bottom