Laura Trott's hair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think I'd ever seen Jo Rowsell with hair until she appeared on the telly as a pundit the other night. It was quite disconcerting. I can understand why she would want to make herself look "normal" when not riding, but it's a shame the world works like that.

I'm not sure this is it. I have a feeling that it's something she does because she likes to. She seems to have a variety of wigs and styles and the women's team seem to delight in nails and hair and all that kind of stuff.

You could perhaps argue that the pressure to conform is insidious but again, I have a feeling that kind of pressure doesn't influence her directly and I'm sure she's thought a lot about her condition and her image.

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Laura Trott is one outstanding athlete, she has great hair too but are these two one and the same?

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm not sure this is it. I have a feeling that it's something she does because she likes to. She seems to have a variety of wigs and styles and the women's team seem to delight in nails and hair and all that kind of stuff.

You could perhaps argue that the pressure to conform is insidious but again, I have a feeling that kind of pressure doesn't influence her directly and I'm sure she's thought a lot about her condition and her image.
Rowsell Shand has said that she wears a particular set of wigs because they make her feel like herself, and she regrets cooperating with a Daily Mail photoshoot in which they dressed her in five different wigs to match five different outfits.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It seemed like a legit discussion until it turned to how Jo looks rather than the weight of hair and/or wigs vs "marginal gains".
OK, I'll bite ....
Yes, no, maybe ....
I guess hair weight might be a useful marginal gain. BUT if it IS, would athletes especially female athletes be prepared to shave their heads for such a gain?
Jo R-S is a case in point for discussion as she naturally lacks hair but chooses to look like she has hair when not competing and as many of us expect a wig would be pretty uncomfortable under a helmet. However, if it is their looks that are a concern for females not to shave their heads for a marginal gain, I just wanted to say that Jo-RS's case to me at least demonstrates that baldness in women is not necessarily a bad thing despite our cultural norms. Super short hair works too ....

Have I dug a big enough hole yet?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
You could say the same about Peter Sagan's thick mop of hair, or all the bearded cyclists. If it mattered, then I daresay each athlete would / did make the decision about priorities.

OK, I'll bite ....
Yes, no, maybe ....
I guess hair weight might be a useful marginal gain. BUT if it IS, would athletes especially female athletes be prepared to shave their heads for such a gain?
Jo R-S is a case in point for discussion as she naturally lacks hair but chooses to look like she has hair when not competing and as many of us expect a wig would be pretty uncomfortable under a helmet. However, if it is their looks that are a concern for females not to shave their heads for a marginal gain, I just wanted to say that Jo-RS's case to me at least demonstrates that baldness in women is not necessarily a bad thing despite our cultural norms. Super short hair works too ....

Have I dug a big enough hole yet?
That's kind of what I said earlier. The point I was trying to make is that the discussion drifted to how Laura and Jo look (comments about legs and general attractiveness) rather than their prowess as athletes and/or the benefits of weight saving.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mass of human hair = 5mg/m
No of hairs on average blonde = 150k
Length of Laura Trott's hair = 0.5m
=>Mass of Laura Trott's hair = 375g

Mass of Laura Trott = 52kg
=>Proportion of Laura Trott which is hair = 0.7% w/w

Somebody check my working?

Top Bottom