Laura Trott's hair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The complete package of being a person has to have a value in all this.
I'm not dismissing totally the other 99.3% of her.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
She wears an aero helmet over her hair. The weight of the rider and bike is far less important than the aero set up on track. The additional weight of long hair v short is irrelevant in this context. If she was doing a hill climb it might be more of an issue but I doubt it.
She could use a smaller aero helmet if she had less hair though.

swansonj

Guru
The complete package of being a person has to have a value in all this.
Just what I was building up to saying as I was reading this thread. The way a person appears is not just about how other people perceive them (which often edges into objectification and sexism, bad things) but how they perceive themselves - the self-confidence it gives them. I would imagine that the very real gain of increased self confidence outweighs any marginal gains of weight.

I am a mere fashion-blind middle-aged male, but if I know that I'm giving a more important than usual lecture, I time my haircuts accordingly, not because I delude myself that a single person in the audience will care or even notice whether my hair is a centimetre longer, but because I know my confidence at "performing" and therefore the quality of the performance is a fragile thing that needs all the help it can get.

winjim

Smash the cistern
That's getting on for the weight of a can of beer. Seems high to me.
I suppose the rate of shedding and regrowth means that my value of 0.5m for length is an overestimate, and 150k is at the top end of the range for number of hairs. Using 0.3m and 100k you get a result of 150g or 0.3% of total body mass.

Top Bottom