Le Tour de Scammonden - a lumpy little forum ride from Hebden Bridge. *** Saturday, Oct 21st, 2023? ***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Mine is also the zefal spy. They're tough little mirrors. Forgot how many times I've fallen off and I've yet to break one. Others like the mirrycle which tend to be set at whichever position you set break easily. They need to be able to be knocked out of position or they er....break. I found it easier to set mine when I used drop bars but with the MTBs wide as a bus bar it's a little more tricky as the end moves around more...if that makes sense.
@Jameshow is right about hub motors not wrecking the drivetrain though. I recently discovered that it wasn't the freehub pawls that were slipping on my bike, it was the actual chain on the sprockets slipping. In a little over 600miles, I'd worn the chain to the 0.75% mark on the chain stretch tool. I don't think the cheap aftermarket chainring helped matters. I think it was made from cheese given the wear on the teeth. But yep, yer typical middrive uses the chain to deliver power whereas the hub motor doesn't. 1200w giving 160nm torque probably didn't help matters.
Bloody good fun though :biggrin:
I have since choked it's power though. Drivetrains aren't cheap.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am off on my travels again in a couple of weeks time, so the dates for Yorkshire rides will be pushed back towards the end of October. Let's hope for the 21st or 28th?
I am finally starting to feel better! Shall we try and do this Scammonden ride next Saturday (21st October)? If the forecast is poor, try again the following Saturday.

GuyBoden

Guru
I am finally starting to feel better! Shall we try and do this Scammonden ride next Saturday (21st October)? If the forecast is poor, try again the following Saturday.

Yes, Saturday (21st October) sounds like a good idea Colin, so weather permitting, I can get to the Hebden Bridge carpark for about 10:30am.

I'll be very slow, but as usual I'll get up the hills eventually.:okay:

I bring my fat old bloke hill climber bike 1x with a 30t front 46t rear, it's not let me down yet.

Dadam

I'm a possible, weather dependent. I could do cold, I could do wet. I don't feel like combining them though!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm a possible, weather dependent. I could do cold, I could do wet. I don't feel like combining them though!
Indeed, and it looks like it might be very windy too!

Let's decide on Friday, when we should have a reliable forecast.

Killing time at Birmingham New Street station... Got here in time for my train but physically impossible to get on due to overcrowding! Hope the next one is not the same...

GuyBoden

Guru
I had a ride over the west Cheshire hills today for a bit of hill climbing practice to stretch the legs. I've mainly been riding weekly longer flat routes in recent months, I was pleased that the west Cheshire hills were no problem at a slow pace today. But, the wind was a bit breezy today.

Looking forward to the le-tour-de-scammonden Sat ride, I hope the weather forecast stays dry. :okay:

GuyBoden

Guru
The weather forecast is not improving! It looks like this Saturday will be cool, wet and windy with possible flooding in some places...

Let's delay it by another week and hope that we get better conditions on the 28th!

That might mean that @Jameshow and @Domus can join us, hopefully without @GuyBoden, @Dadam and @Peter Salt dropping out?!

The met office are showing Amber and Yellow warnings, but it still looks dry and little wind, so I'm confused with the weather forecast.

Hebden Bridge Weather.png

Dadam

The weather forecast is not improving! It looks like this Saturday will be cool, wet and windy with possible flooding in some places...

Let's delay it by another week and hope that we get better conditions on the 28th!

That might mean that @Jameshow and @Domus can join us, hopefully without @GuyBoden, @Dadam and @Peter Salt dropping out?!

I should be ok for next Saturday but I'm happy to hold off the decision until later tomorrow. At the moment it seems the storm will have finished by Saturday but yes there's still likely to be deep puddles in places and a chance we might have to reroute.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet

I was about to post that I can't make this Saturday. Definitely still tentative for the 28th.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The met office are showing Amber and Yellow warnings, but it still looks dry and little wind, so I'm confused with the weather forecast.

View attachment 710625
Ha - that actually looks better than the last time I looked, but the BBC forecast is more pessimistic than the Met Office one! I was also checking Ripponden and Marsden which are approximately either side of the big hills.

Screenshot_20231019-172820_Chrome.jpg

I am becoming more of a fair weather cyclist as I get older, especially on bikes without proper mudguards, such as the CAAD5 that I would use for this route.

Top Bottom