Letter from the Met re: ASL's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
The MET advice contradicts John Franklin's cyclecraft:

It is always unsafe to use a kerbside cycle lane to reach an advanced stop line and then to turn right across the waiting area.

If you intend to turn right, position normally towards the centre of the road, as if the cycle lane were not there. Move forward to the advanced stop line if it is safe to do so, but otherwise stay with the traffic.
(my underline)

So John Franklin and therefore Bikeability is training us to break the law?

MisterStan

Label Required

(my underline)

The way I read that is that it is only applicable if turning right.....

BSRU

A Human Being

(my underline)

I read somewhere the law will be changed in 2014, negating the need for a feeder lane.

Recycle

Über Member
That is not true. Regulation 10 of The Traffic Signs Regulations & General Directions 2002 does not apply to ASL markings.
It would be nice to point this out to Ms Harrison and get her to issue a correction. Do you have a reference for that?

Herr-B

If submitting footage regarding a complaint of this type please can I ask that the footage shows them driving over the ASL. Cycling up to a junction and seeing them in the box and filming them is of no use.

So, if filming with only one, forward-facing camera, you are to enter the zone (however legally so?) and turn around 180º to film the traffic. Only that will be deemed of use? And have a dozen drivers beeping and shouting for you to 'kin' move' as the lights have changed but you can't see as you've turned around.

Is it just me?

:cursing:

BSRU

A Human Being
If you what you write is true then the government seems confused about it

Section 16.21 of
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...file/4462/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-05.pdf

states a feeder lane is required to allow a cyclist to enter the ASL legally, without crossing the first stop line.

BSRU

A Human Being
The Government is, indeed, confused about it and has been for the last decade since the Regulations were introduced.
Your answers do explain the four ASL's near me which do not have feeder lanes and hence according to the government document a cyclist can never use them as intended.

chqshaitan

Guru
jeez, another layer of potential things to take into account when travelling. I think we we have enough just trying to stay safe and guess what everyone else is doing, without having to inspect the road markings for a broken white line at a ASL.

When i am on the road I travel as if I am in a car, keeps things simple then.
<gripe over> :P

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Okay, so if you are only allowed to enter an ASL through a feeder lane, then what do you do if you are filtering between two lanes of traffic and there is no filter lane into the ASL?

There is only one ASL near me that has a feeder lane, however there are many more without one. So what is the point of them if you cannot enter them?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Regulation 10. As you will see, diagram 1001.2 (which is the road markings for ASLs) is not listed as being subject to section 36 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
In which case, maybe I'm not parsing this correctly, but surely that oversight applies to all vehicles not just cyclists? Either the second line can be treated as a 1001 in which case s43 para 1a applies and anyone who wants to drive into the box can do, or there is no stop line, and traffic should stop somewhere near the post on which the lights are mounted (s43para 3)

Top Bottom