Listerine stains your teeth. Mildly furious to discover this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Mouthwash often reacts with ingredients in toothpaste and causes staining. Try using the mouthwash at midday and brushing morning and night. Apart from anything else if you use mouthwash directly after brushing your teeth you rinse away all the toothpaste which defeats the purpose of using it.

Large

Duty idiot
A lot of mouthwashes cause some staining. I use Corsodyl and it says on the bottle that it may cause staining. I've been using an Oral B 3D electric brush for years now and it's excellent. £50 well spent.

I still haven't found the perfect toothpaste, however.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Stephen Fry covered this on QI so it must be true;
Halitosis was entirely made-up by Lambert Pharmacal, the company behind Listerine, named after Joseph Lister, the so-called father of antiseptic surgery. Weirdly the antiseptic used in surgeries was also used to clean floors and used as a cure for gonorrhoea, then as a mouthwash without changing the formula. The reason they made up halitosis was so they could sell the mouthwash, because there wasn't a need for it before, so the company made claims such as "hotel clerks say one in three guests checking in have halitosis" and "dentists say 83% of patients have halitosis".

And as TMN said, dentists will tell you that mouthwash isn't necessary for oral hygiene.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Unfortunately, the whole 'Listerine/Lambert made up halitosis' meme is an urban myth - just 'cos Stephen Fry says something doesn't make it true. There are records of 'halitosis' being used as a term a long time before Listerine was invented...

LIAR!

notlistening.jpg

GC

midlife

Guru
Listerine does not cause staining as far as I am aware, It's the chlorhexidine in Corsodyl that stains teeth brown and indeed there is a warning on the label.

The only mouthwash with proven clinical activity enough to "treat" gum problems is Corsodyl, the others don't actually do anything (unless you count fluoride for cavity protection). Unfortunately Corsodyl has side effects if used for a long time and a toothbrush is much better at doing the job than chemicals anyway......

Shaun

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's French it can't be any good - on several occasions during the time I lived in France, I got quite "close" to French girls then recoiled in horror at the bad breath. That was in the mid 80s though when companies like Unilever were trotting out some pretty grim statistics about soap usage and toothbrush ownership in France.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Well I am getting to work with my interdental brushes and throwing my Listerine away. I do think it had a good effect on my gums but I would rather use salty water and have a good scrub. I use Sensodyne btw.

I found a webshite that said if you use mouthwash at night it avoids staining because it is the interaction with food that causes the problem, and you have at least 8 food-free hours overnight (barring midnight feasts). I also think I should always rinse with water after drinking tea or coffee but I never had much of a prob before using the mouthwash so I think I'm ok.

And I'm getting an electric toofbrush, dammit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's becoming clearer and clearer that oral health has a significant bearing on general health. If you have gum disease a whole host of nasty bacteria are finding their way into your bloodstream, and I guess your oral hygiene is an indication of your general level of attention to health and wellbeing.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You could always try 'miswak'. It's natural and cheap.

massive in the Middle East. North Africa and Asia.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Since buying an electric toothbrush I haven't needed to see a dental hygienist, and my teeth are 'challenging', shall we say (i.e. pretty crooked). I don't think it's possible to clean teeth properly with an ordinary toothbrush. My dentist told me to avoid mouthwashes as they don't do anything useful.

My Doctor told me they're just a gimmick, and a simple salt solution is better, and cheaper... he might not be a dentist but I'm willing to believe him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom