1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London riots

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by pawl, 8 Aug 2011.

1. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Looting an Argos store, how would you know where to find the stuff?

2. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Nah, you just nick the catalogues....

And the pens.

3. Adrian

I can report that there are Welsh Police officers on the streets in Croydon. There is of course no trouble and they have nothing to do other than be there. People are going up to to them, shaking their hands and posing for photos. It is all a bit surreal but if it means that AKA Bob can get a proper meal and a decent sleep.

4. Well, fancy that!

5. Stephenite

Stephenite Mæmbå

Another article in The Guardian, this time by Russel Brand (non-the-less) and only a few hours after your post (!)

The difference here though is that Brand admits he has sold out to Mammon, whilst the author of the second article - eleven days later - fails to mention (perhaps unnecessarily i'll admit) that he has built his career on the free market and it's wants and greeds.

Anyway, it turns my stomach all this talk about 'big society', deeper meaning and spirituality when at the same time the health service has to make a profit or die.

6. Adrian

Everything is OK, Crispin Blunt assures us that these shameful events are a one off. It is nice to see that one middle aged man is sufficiently in tune with the yoof that he can predict their moods and actions. Good on him.

7. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Phew, that's all right then.

8. Cush

Cush Über Member

I Havent followed this thread much as I think there has been too much coverage in the media as it is but this morning to get a way from the news from Libya I changed to channel 12 and seen the back end of a program that covered criminal activity in WW2 and what was done about it. It was strange there we were at war with our backs to the wall and every one pulling together apart from a fair sized group that was useing the war as one big thieving spree and this at a time when corpral and capital punishment was still in force. I am in no way defending those that took part in the recent riots but it is nothing new and there was no solutions found in WW2 so what chance have we got to find a solution today?, other than banging as many of these people up as possible and keeping them banged up but at the same time making sure that they earn theire keep while they are in prison.

9. mangaman

mangaman Guest

I love the BBC reporting - it's like something from "The Day Today"

"In his first interview since the disturbances, the prisons minister said that he was completely confident the system could cope and that the jail population would be back to where it was before the trouble within six months.
    "We are completely confident that the prison system and justice system are going to be able to cope" he told the BBC."

I'm not sure I understood that entirely, but reading between the lines I believe he's confident they are going to cope.

10. Angelfishsolo

Angelfishsolo A Velocipedian

It's the part about being back to normal in 6 months that raises questions in my mind.

11. DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds King of Custard Mountain

London riots were childs play compared to the Trumpton Riots from what i remember

12. Adasta

Adasta Well-Known Member

Ummm...how does that work?

13. Ludwig

Ludwig road stud

When the London floods due the global warming and you can just make out the top of the St Pauls cathedral it will stop all the rioting.

14. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Yes - there was a football riot in the subuteo stands as well that day. Home game, I believe, against Dukla Prague.

15. mangaman

mangaman Guest

I remember it well.

My job was to get a message through to Captain Snort, that he better start assembling the boys from the fort.

Happy days.

16. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

The prison population will be back where it was, and indeed always is.

In prison...

17. Stephenite

Stephenite Mæmbå

Wasnt that Duplo Prague?

:laugh: :sad:

18. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

a very good (if slightly gloomy) point. I've read that rings were taken from the fingers of people killed when the Cafe Royal was blitzed.

19. Mad at urage

Mad at urage New Member

Enough people will be released (early if necessary) to ensure that the prison population is not higher in six months than it is now.

Reassured now? :evil:

20. ransos

ransos Guru

At a guess, the people being released early will have committed far more serious crimes than most of those convicted for their crimes during the riots.