London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

The thing that really tits me off is their attitude to universal healthcare and the republicans claiming it's some reds under the bed demon that will gobble up GDP.

Riots because of disenfranchisement is one thing - you thought they might understand that, disenfranchisement being the reason for the declaration of independence - riots in the US in the last half century though are literally caused because people are poor, hungry and sick.

Glancing sideways slightly, I have just opened yesterday's Guardian G2 for a Quick Look before I tackle the Quick Crossword and, on Page 9 I noticed this text...from an article by Zoe Williams on the psychology of looting.

29vyotg.jpg

and then later in the G2 supplement, P 15.

11blsu0.jpg

leading to a selection on Page 16.

14vn47q.jpg

£595 YSL ysl.com - 'a classic chelsea boot with a macho camo twist... '
Once again, I seem to be having my nose rubbed in stuff I can't afford! :smile:

Well, fancy that!

Stephenite

Membå
Another article in The Guardian, this time by Russel Brand (non-the-less) and only a few hours after your post (!)

The difference here though is that Brand admits he has sold out to Mammon, whilst the author of the second article - eleven days later - fails to mention (perhaps unnecessarily i'll admit) that he has built his career on the free market and it's wants and greeds.

Anyway, it turns my stomach all this talk about 'big society', deeper meaning and spirituality when at the same time the health service has to make a profit or die.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1499465 said:
Everything is OK, Crispin Blunt assures us that these shameful events are a one off. It is nice to see that one middle aged man is sufficiently in tune with the yoof that he can predict their moods and actions. Good on him.

Phew, that's all right then.

I Havent followed this thread much as I think there has been too much coverage in the media as it is but this morning to get a way from the news from Libya I changed to channel 12 and seen the back end of a program that covered criminal activity in WW2 and what was done about it. It was strange there we were at war with our backs to the wall and every one pulling together apart from a fair sized group that was useing the war as one big thieving spree and this at a time when corpral and capital punishment was still in force. I am in no way defending those that took part in the recent riots but it is nothing new and there was no solutions found in WW2 so what chance have we got to find a solution today?, other than banging as many of these people up as possible and keeping them banged up but at the same time making sure that they earn theire keep while they are in prison.

mangaman

1499465 said:
Everything is OK, Crispin Blunt assures us that these shameful events are a one off. It is nice to see that one middle aged man is sufficiently in tune with the yoof that he can predict their moods and actions. Good on him.

I love the BBC reporting - it's like something from "The Day Today"

"In his first interview since the disturbances, the prisons minister said that he was completely confident the system could cope and that the jail population would be back to where it was before the trouble within six months.
"We are completely confident that the prison system and justice system are going to be able to cope" he told the BBC."

I'm not sure I understood that entirely, but reading between the lines I believe he's confident they are going to cope.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

"In his first interview since the disturbances, the prisons minister said that he was completely confident the system could cope and that the jail population would be back to where it was before the trouble within six months.
"We are completely confident that the prison system and justice system are going to be able to cope" he told the BBC."

I'm not sure I understood that entirely, but reading between the lines I believe he's confident they are going to cope.

It's the part about being back to normal in 6 months that raises questions in my mind.

Adasta

Ummm...how does that work?

Top Bottom