London riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 1499435"]
I'd like to say I've moved on to the hard Times' (no pun intended) cryptic one but I've regressed to staring gormlessly into space instead.
[/quote]

You've not joined the boycott of News International then User?? :rolleyes:

asterix

Comrade Member
Washington Post:

.. it’s possible to see a connection between the young people who first gathered in frustration outside a police station in north London last Saturday, infuriated by police officers’ killing of a 29-year-old black man, and those who began rioting in the Tunisian town of Sidi Bouzid following the self-immolation of a frustrated fruit seller last December. The common factors include high unemployment, resentment toward a prosperous and seemingly impenetrable upper class, and hatred of the police. In Britain’s case, as in some Arab countries, the trouble is further fueled by racial and ethnic tensions.

In Britain, as in the Middle East, political leaders were taken by surprise by the explosiveness of the unrest. Britain’s spread from the Tottenham police station across London and then to Birmingham and other cities in the first three nights. But people who live in some of the affected neighborhoods or work with their youth said it had been brewing for a long time, even as the country’s political parties largely ignored the problems of a troubled underclass.

This is becoming a year of rebellion by the dispossessed — first in the Arab Middle East, then in Israel and now in one of the world’s richest democracies. At a time of economic disruption, no country is immune from such upheaval.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Washington Post:

Sorry but I think that is utter tosh! To compare what happened in London and other cities with the Middle East is to devalue what the people of Middle Eastern countries are attempting to do. I'll leave out Tottenham as I think that was a show of anger and frustration.

For the other areas, it was pure opportunistic thuggery and thieving. This was no attempt to change the way the country is governed or even to send a signal to those governing that change was needed, this was an attempt to get a new plasma TV to watch Celebrity Big Brother without having to work for the money to pay for it.

In the Middle East, would the crowd have stood around whilst an innocent bystander (already with a broken jaw and bleeding heavily) was re-mugged??

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Quiz time:

"We got drunk, trashed the [place name removed] & then went down [place name removed] to loot a few items from [shop name removed]"

1. Who said this?
2. Can you fill in the missing place names?
3. What harsh punishment did they receive for this 'pure criminality'?
4. What effect did this blatant immorality and lack of respect have on their career prospects?
5. How do you explain the difference between this and the same person's comments about the recent riots?

:becool:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Coming from you FM, my guess is that The Bullingdon might fit the bill...:rolleyes:

It was just youthful high spirits for Heaven's sake.

I am glad you think that any one of these young rioters could one day become Mayor of London or Prime Minister. Britain is such a foregiving nation that gives anyone the chance to overcome their youthful indiscretions and be all that they can be.

Who knows who would have stepped forward to protect Britain in its hour of need had our current reformed and throughly moral and responsible ex-thuggish, looting leaders, been say, shot or sent to the gulags...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Coming from you FM, my guess is that The Bullingdon might fit the bill...:rolleyes:

yeah but at least they should have an understanding of why someone would get high on drink/drugs and smash and steal just for kicks.....or was it all different for them?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

Youthful high spirits. I guess the two kids that killed James Bolger were naughty boys! I can not believe this wooly liberal thinking. I wonder if you would say the same if you were a victim in all of this? Ask Ian about the youthful high spirits.

Zoiders

I think the Washington post have got a bloody cheek.

Baltimore right next to Washington - the seat of the nation - has been become a depopulated city, as have other places, I can't even be arsed to google the US homeless figures as they just fib about it and no one has any idea how many million there really are, the US deprivation is biblical in scale, a hidden 3rd world.

When we get as bad as that they can feel free to comment, at least we don't charge for being born in a hospital.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I think the Washington post have got a bloody cheek.

Baltimore right next to Washington - the seat of the nation - has been become a depopulated city, as have other places, I can't even be arsed to google the US homeless figures as they just fib about it and no one has any idea how many million there really are, the US deprivation is biblical in scale, a hidden 3rd world.

When we get as bad as that they can feel free to comment, at least we don't charge for being born in a hospital.
I take it you have seen Sicko? That is a wake up call indeed.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yup, the USA is one of the two countries in the OECD to be measurably more unequal than the UK. I was amazed when I lived just outside DC, how casually most people there ignored the massive social divisions or treated them as somehow natural or acceptable.

And before anyone says, 'yeah but it's worse in poor nation X' - sure, but the point is that the richer nations of the world don't have being poor to explain why they do nothing about it, and they certainly have no morally acceptable reason for making their societies more unequal, which is what has happened over the last 30 years.

And that, by the way, holds with or without rioting.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Youthful high spirits. I guess the two kids that killed James Bolger were naughty boys! I can not believe this wooly liberal thinking. I wonder if you would say the same if you were a victim in all of this? Ask Ian about the youthful high spirits.

Errrgh....I wasn't entirely serious about "youthful high spirits"...

For the other areas, it was pure opportunistic thuggery and thieving. This was no attempt to change the way the country is governed or even to send a signal to those governing that change was needed, this was an attempt to get a new plasma TV to watch Celebrity Big Brother without having to work for the money to pay for it.

Very well put. They weren't working class heroes grabbing a bottle of milk to feed their starving children, while striking a blow against Thatcherism - they were nasty violent, opportunistic criminals.

Top Bottom