London to Brighton with the Veteran Cars 6 November 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Can you remind me. Is the big lunch stop normally at Crawley? I can't remember the name of the town, but it's usually full of static disposals and in the past we've stopped at cafes there.

Yep, Crawley. I'm reliably informed (local knowledge) that the half way stop is at The Hawth theatre in Crawley this time, which is some way out of the town centre. The cafe we usually stop at (in the town centre) is still there and would still be a good place for refreshments. I'll be starting to look a the weather forecast on Thursday.

AlexB

Veteran
Cool. I think I'll do what I did last year and ride part way with the cars and then turn back and ride home off road. Crawley would be a good place to stop for lunch.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Just a word of warning; there are train strikes planned for 5th November and 7th November. I have checked Nat Rail website for train times and news pages to see if trains from Brighton back to London/ East Croydon are going to be affected as I have read that even though there is no strike on 6th November some trains may end up in the wrong places as a result of the action on Saturday 5th and that would affect the timetable.. that said Thameslink dont seem to be on strike at all so their services may run alright on 6th November. If anyone else has any further news or information could they kindly post it up here to inform all souls. Many thanks.

rb58

Enigma
Do you know the name of the coffee shop? we have met people in the past at the coffee shop that forms part of east croydon station... never west croydon to my knowledge...

We normally meet outside Costa Coffee, which is at the west side of the station concourse.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
say 8.30 at Costa Croydon... 8 am at Applegreen petrol station / A23 opposite Sainsburys / corner of Streatham Common
anyone got any update on the train situation? all assistance gratefully received

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm hoping to join.

Early days still but forecast looks incredibly mild - almost shorts weather - but possible showers.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm planning on being at East Croydon Station for 8am for coffee, leaving by 8.30am. Any later then that and you'll miss mixing with the cars.

rb58

Enigma
I'm planning on being at East Croydon Station for 8am for coffee, leaving by 8.30am. Any later then that and you'll miss mixing with the cars.

Will aim for the same, although the last cars don't leave HPC until 8:45am, so plenty of time. Hopefully with have two or three other riders in tow.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
Any ideas of numbers who would be joining at the Applegreen Petrol station Streatham Common, just so we know who is coming... takes 20 mins to get to East Croydon Costa...

rb58

Enigma
I've been reminded by BookFace this morning that last time I did this (2019, pre-lock down) our little peloton was served home-made scones by a lovely lady spectating by the side of the road somewhere near Haywards Heath. She wasn't selling them or anything, she just liked the look of us and asked us if we wanted any. That's the kind of day this is. New we just need the weather forecasts for Sunday to improve a shade.....

Top Bottom