London to Brighton with the Veteran Cars 6 November 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Can you remind me. Is the big lunch stop normally at Crawley? I can't remember the name of the town, but it's usually full of static disposals and in the past we've stopped at cafes there.

Yes definitely Crawley. Last year we found a quieter place off the main street; nice cafe, grim piece of 60s or 70s town planning big windswept concrete "plaza"!!

Gordon P

As rb58 has so wisely said
Now we just need the weather forecasts for Sunday to improve a shade.....
It's hard to know at present when the rain will fall but it will do, in both London and more heavily in Brighton - but it may be clear there by the time we arrive - if the stiff headwind allows us to get there of course!
And @bobcolover if I do get myself out of bed, I will leave Big Ben at about 7.30 and see you at that petrol station

I've been reminded by BookFace this morning that last time I did this (2019, pre-lock down) our little peloton was served home-made scones by a lovely lady spectating by the side of the road somewhere near Haywards Heath. She wasn't selling them or anything, she just liked the look of us and asked us if we wanted any. That's the kind of day this is. New we just need the weather forecasts for Sunday to improve a shade.....

I find it remarkable that was 3 years ago. Her small group were drinking fizzy wine and/or tea to go with the scones. (Not from the same vessel). Strange she did not offer us either of those too!

frank9755

Cyclist
For those who didn't do this last year, they put cones out on the A23 so the old cars, and us, had a protected lane all the way down, and a managed crossing into the middle lane before the roundabout. It made it far less intimidating than in the past.
I expect they'll do the same this year.

frank9755

Cyclist
Weather looks a bit iffy, but not terrible.
I was wavering earlier but leaning towards going now.
Looks like there will be some rain but not all day.
What does everyone else think?

Gordon P

Weather looks a bit iffy, but not terrible.
I was wavering earlier but leaning towards going now.
Looks like there will be some rain but not all day.
What does everyone else think?

I think I am wavering the other way @frank9755 disappointingly (for me at least!) - I would have loved to ride with you and swap stories from the summer but while London's weather looks bearable, it seems likely to worsen as we go south

Am also out sadly. Just spent the last 24 hours in bed with a debilitating D&V bug. Very disappointing, first one I have missed for 5 or 6 years.
Weather is not looking good, met office has issued yellow rain warning for this neck of the woods, which basically means south of the M25 all the way to Brighton.
Bon courage to all those going!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’m going to assess it in the morning. If I do ride I may decide to turn round at Crawley depending on how wet it is. The current forecast for Croydon is drizzle until midday, then thunderstorms.

frank9755

Cyclist
It doesn't look great...

Forecast seems to be getting worse. Would p probably be dry until mid morning, then loads of rain.

I think I'll give it a miss.

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
I will be at the Applegreen garage at 7.50; will leave there at 8.05 and head for Costa East Croydon; we can check forecast there; my preference would be for doing it....

AlexB

Veteran
I'll be going. My group are riding to Crawley and then turning back to ride home off road. I say group, but they've been dropping like flies. I think it's two of us now!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’m out. The forecast is now for heavy rain all the way to Brighton. I hope anyone that’s still riding enjoys it anyway.

1995D2E6-D2C0-435E-9A06-33005EA5A6AA.jpeg

OP
OP
B

bobcolover

Guru
I've bailed from my own ride. 9.15 at Croydon....there was a slight decrease in precipitation but now back to full on torrential.. .
Might try to organise a similar ride with the commercial vintage vehicles next year.....

AlexB

Veteran
We met Bob in Streatham, but the conditions were terrible, so we all bailed at East Croydon!

Last edited:
Top Bottom