Lorry driver who threw mobile away after crash jailed for 10 months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This lorry driver made 22 calls on two different phones, rammed a car into the path of a van injuring a woman and her two children, then threw the phone into a field after the crash. The lorry driver had previous convictions for speeding and mobile phone use.

A truck driver who injured a woman and her two children when she crashed into their car used two mobile phones to make 22 calls and send a text while driving at excessive speed.

Nell Owen, 25, of Radcliffe Road, Criccieth, was seen throwing a mobile phone into a field after the accident on the A470 near Caersws, which left the seven-month-old baby in the car with bruising on the brain.

Mold Crown Court heard the children had to be airlifted to hospital after the Volvo animal transporter driven by Owen hit the car as it waited to turn right on November 4 last year.

She was on a mobile phone at the time and knocked the car into the path of a Transit van. The baby in the car was hospitalised for six days in Birmingham.

An investigation showed Owen had been using her own phone and that of her employer during her journey, had been travelling too fast, and had cut corners against centre white lines.

The professional driver admitted dangerous driving and wept as she was jailed for 10 months.

Owen was also banned from driving for three years and was ordered to pass an extended driving test before driving again.

A lying, scheming and dangerous woman who should never be allowed a licence again. Unfortunately the ban is only for 3 years although it is encouraging to hear that the Traffic Commissioner is unlikely to ever allow her an HGV licence again.

GC

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Too right, although what does 'unlikely' mean in this context? 'Unless she pleads that she can't survive without earning a living as a driver'?

I would guess the reason that it can't definitively be said that the driver would never be granted a renewal of her HGV licence is that some sort of TC hearing would be required to determine that.
And reading the end of that report again, it's only the opinion of the defence agent.

GC

oldstrath

Über Member
Something I diidn't understand:
"She had no previous criminal convictions but had convictions for speeding and using her phone."

Are speeding and using a phone while allegedly in charge of a vehicle not criminal acts?

sidevalve

Über Member
Not really sure what this has to do with a cycling forum. A bad driver caused an accident, tried to hide evidence and got caught end of story. No cyclists were involved just a stupid criminal getting caught. What next - driver goes wrong way on motorway and causes crash and we discuss it in detail ? Armed robber shoots three people and we think it's relevant ? You can never legislate for stupid people who think the law doesn't apply to them [and yes that applies to cyclists too]. Shall we have a long [and boring] thread on the number of cyclists that deliver drugs in inner city areas ? Time to stop trawling the news for juicy bits of obscure traffic incidents that are more suitable for cheap tabloid newspapers. There are thousands of accidents every day, some big some small, s---t happens.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Not really sure what this has to do with a cycling forum. A bad driver caused an accident, tried to hide evidence and got caught end of story. No cyclists were involved just a stupid criminal getting caught. What next - driver goes wrong way on motorway and causes crash and we discuss it in detail ? Armed robber shoots three people and we think it's relevant ? You can never legislate for stupid people who think the law doesn't apply to them [and yes that applies to cyclists too]. Shall we have a long [and boring] thread on the number of cyclists that deliver drugs in inner city areas ? Time to stop trawling the news for juicy bits of obscure traffic incidents that are more suitable for cheap tabloid newspapers. There are thousands of accidents every day, some big some small, s---t happens.

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Driving standards and how police and courts respond to dangerous driving is of interest to many cyclists. YMMV.

GC

As cyclists, a particularly vulnerable category of road user, many of us take a keen interest in matters pertaining to road safety. As such, this is quite relevant to us.

No, they are Road Traffic Offences, not crimes.

They are criminal offences. A woman voluntarily impaired her driving to the same degree as a drunk driver.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Convictions are down, despite usage shooting up. If anyone reckons that drivers on mobiles have nothing to do with cyclists they're not paying attention.

Minor thread hi jack.
Took my car for its MOT last Thursday then walked a couple of miles to meet my wife along a main road, used Monday to Friday, largely by commuters. The traffic was moving, albeit slowly, but it is like this every working day, so being a nosey sod and walking into the flow of the traffic, I took the opportunity to look in the cars. Quite shocked to see around 10% of drivers were using mobiles.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
You don't notice this on a daily basis on your bike?

Too busy avoiding potholes ^_^
Seriously though, yes I do see it, but if passing stationary or slow moving traffic on my bike, I tend to be alert for other things as well. So clocking someone using a mobile becomes simply one of the hazards.
Having seen a couple of 'phone users at the start of my walk, it drew my attention to it, so that became the thing to look for, from the (comparatively) safer footpath, where the main hazard was my own feet.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I can pretty much guarantee that when I encounter unexpected congestion on the roads, one of the drivers of one of the vehicles in direct sight will be curiously interested in their knees.

Top Bottom