Lurkers! Register and be heard...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aperitif

Meme bar
That's just 'pudding on the style' Uncle...(don't forget the dollop of jam flavoured swirl in the middle of your bowl of wrinkly's delight...) :thumbsup:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Quoth said:
It's not like I'm a member of a goddamn club. This place reminds me of the scouts. It's a bit creepy now that I think about it.

An epiphany!

Cheerio, comfy sofa types. Enjoy your tapioca. I don't expect you to question any of this. Maybe I'll check in on you in 2020, wherever you are by then...

Bye.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Uncle Mort said:
I was reading about Tapioca in Richard Corrigan's 'A Clatter Of Forks And Spoons' this weekend. He makes an interesting argument for its comeback and compares British and Irish attitudes to it. I haven't had any for more than twenty years now, but I loved it as a kid, when it was known as 'frogspawn' at school. I'm going to see if I can find some at the shops today. ;)

OK you have me interested ... how did they have different attitudes to Tapioca - can a nation have an attitude to food?. (I did like it as a kid but don't think I've had any since then - though hated semolina).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'll ask my Dad if it was a treat or not - they mustn't have had a freezer as when I was at my grandparents as a small child, it would be a treat to buy that ice cream that came in cardboard and it would be finished in the one sitting. I've a piccy of my mum aged about 2 standing next to a turnip shredding machine.... (the only thing they are good for - though my parents like turnips). I suppose its no different than snails and how the French vs the British generally view the same food item.

Wolf04

Uncle Mort said:
He talks about the fact that it was used as cheap school dinners fodder in England, and how he knows people who went to Eton and Harrow recall it with horror, whereas it was a big treat in his Irish (farming) family. I think some countries do have very different attitudes to food. For instance people here would only feed turnip (what you would call probably swede) to the pigs, but where I come from it's a treat. And as for tripe... :sad:

Nothing wrong with Turnip (that's the large purple vegetable with the yellow flesh) that many people wrongly call swede (a smaller white version) have it on a regular basis, boiled mashed, piled into an oven dish, topped with bread crumbs and butter lots of black pepper and then baked. Delicious. ;)
Hmmm Tapioca....

Cheddar George

oober member
I always thought that a swede had yellow flesh and the turnip was white.
As soon as i finish writing this i'm off to "google"

Cheddar George

oober member
Apparently a "swede" is also known as Rutabaga,yellow turnip, swede or swedish turnip !!

A more definitive definition of a "turnip" -

"Observe, (a) there is some purple to the skin, but also some white - more commonly they can be white only, or white with green, and (:biggrin: the flesh is as white as a goth on a ghost train, (c) the size, which you can’t really observe from the picture, but take it from me that they’re a bit smaller than tennis balls"

And do not search google images for "swede" without at least a moderate safe search filter !

brontesorearse

Quoth said:
Recently, this place has turned into a clique. The same posters over and over.

I agree with you totally, very clicky, must be all the overused knee joints !

Top Bottom