England : Bedfordshire Luton Slightly Hilly House Warming Cake ride - Sat. 12th January 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seeing as Rebecca moved into my palatial mansion* several weeks ago, and we never got round to opening her bottle of champagne as a house warming present, we've decided to organise a bike ride instead.

As everyone seems to moan that I mislead people in saying a ride I've organised is almost flat, when they make out they've had to climb the equivalent of Everest, as a New Year resolution, I'll be upfront and say there's a few hills around where we live. ^_^

However, I have designed a nice little route which will start from Luton Airport Parkway Station, meander along a brand new paved cycle path to Harpenden, weave around the villages of Kimpton and Wheathampstead, across to Redbourn then on to Gaddesdon Row, have a pub lunch, and then drop down through Flamstead towards the A5 and then back to our place for tea and cake. It's then around 3 miles mainly downhill back to the station.

Around 33 miles in total with 1,500 feet of glorious, generally gentle, climbs no more than 8%, and if it's clear, stunning views.

Start from Luton Airport Parkway station at 10 am. Trains run regularly from St Pancras and take around 20-30 mins (45 mins for the slower stopping trains). FCC ones can take a few bikes whilst the faster East Midlands trains are limited to only 2 bikes. I'll post a link for the route a bit later on.

If it's snowing/icy, then I'll cancel.

* aka 3 bed semi

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did someone mention cake? :smile:
Sounds like it might be fun.....

stevevw

Guru
Adam,
have you decent route out of London to Luton?
Ian
Ride up to mine for breakfast and I will show you a nice route to the top end of Luton airports runway. from there we can make the route up Mouseketeer stylee to the station.

Adam,
have you decent route out of London to Luton?
If you don't come via Steve's, Adam does have a route we did a few months ago - it's main roads til somewhere near Radlett then quieter roads the rest of the way as it was a weekend afternoon. But I'd think that, early on a Saturday morning, main roads all the way up would be brilliant.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ian, I have a route that'll take us through Harpenden (although calling it a route may be stretching it a bit!) and it's just a short hop from there to Luton.

I'm a possible. If I do make it I'll probably drop off at whatever point you hit the A5 :thumbsup:

musa

Über Member
i'd like to join this...im with ian for the ride up if thats kool with the others

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm a very tentative maybe- commitments may stack up during that weekend but I'll stick it in the diary.

EDIT: Just checked the diary and looks like that weekend I'm away in Wales potentially so I think I won't be out on this.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Take the A5/A5183 from Marble Arch to St Albans then get on the A1081 to Luton. Take the third exit off the Jct 10A island, enjoy the 1 mile downhill and take the slip road just before the lights. Then a quick right and left at the bottom of the slip will take you to Parkway station. Beware of the adverse camber when you turn left and ignore the dumb cycle lane markings and beware of any irate motorist who expects you to get out of the way and use said dumb cycle lane.

Lovely route, quick and only two hills of any note. The one up through Stanmore and then St Stephens Hill in St Albans.

I'd agree - the A5 out of London is really the easiest way.

Top Bottom