M.O.T. roulette - place your bets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get in.... 22 years old...
MOT.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's Peugeot Tepee went in for it's MOT yesterday, failing on:

- A CV boot and ...
- not enough air in one tyre.

That'll do given it's had a really hard life. It's 16 years old, done 170000 miles, ragged by an elderly lady for 85000 of those who then wedged it into a supermarket car park barrier, bought by me and used as a long-distance bike carrier to races plus race support for another 78000, then son no. 2's got it to drive round in from the age of 17 a couple of years ago*. Given he drives like Miss Daisy it's probably had a nice driver for the first time ever.

* note - it's group 2 of 50 insurance, 1.6 petrol but only 89hp new so probably about 60hp now, and can take bikes inside easily. Or a mattress. Or anything else that needs transporting. No street cred so it's unlikely to get stolen (who steals Postman Pat's van?) and is driven by mostly careful elderly drivers rather than teenagers. He pays £650 for full comprehensive insurance, with his 2 years NCB fully protected. But ... put five teenagers in and it'll struggle to go up a hill.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
My Classic Mini failed on emissions. I noticed the idle was high and hunting,but it quickly settled. However the hydrocarbons were way off the scale on testing.

I've been checking the vacuum lines, found no smoking gun, but I need to be able to read data and adjust some electronics. I've ordered an interface lead to connect to my phone and use an app a bit like torque pro for Mini's

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My Classic Mini failed on emissions. I noticed the idle was high and hunting,but it quickly settled. However the hydrocarbons were way off the scale on testing.

I've been checking the vacuum lines, found no smoking gun, but I need to be able to read data and adjust some electronics. I've ordered an interface lead to connect to my phone and use an app a bit like torque pro for Mini's

Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this problem
That makes me feel old. When I rebuilt an A-Series engine (1275cc, SU carb, 84 hp) it had no electronics at all.
Year of manufacture was 1980.

CXRAndy

Guru
That makes me feel old. When I rebuilt an A-Series engine (1275cc, SU carb, 84 hp) it had no electronics at all.
Year of manufacture was 1980.

I'm slightly regretting getting a fuel injected version. The more I research the less appealing these SPI models are. They are well known to give problems, mostly vacuum problems. I've got some basic parts on order, hopefully the diagnostics will help pin down any issues and allow me to setup the carb properly. Watched a fair few videos/read forums which have given a fair bit of knowledge to check for other issues if I initially cant pin it down.

There's always carb conversion or EV- which I've just had a provisional quote of £27000+VAT :eek:

CXRAndy

Guru
Think I might have gotten to the problem of my Mini rich fuelling which failed its MOT. It failed for having a HC of 1600 (max permitted 200).

I got my diagnostic lead and set about assessing the data. I purchased a tin a spray brake cleaner and sprayed all the vacuum lines and gaskets around the inlet tract in the hope of finding a leak causing this rich condition. Nothing conclusive. Scratching my head as to why the car was over revving and varying revs, I decided to go back to basics as there was nothing in the data other than Long term trim was high and short term around zero/null trim.

I pulled the plugs , which obviously were black from the excess fuel. Gaps looked narrow, confirmed with feeler gauge. I re-adjusted the gaps and reinstalled plugs.

Transformation, smooth lower idle, short term trim is now negative by a small percentage. This should relearn long term fuel trim in due course. Proof will be tomorrow morning when I can try a cold start, this was when it was at its worst.

CXRAndy

Guru
This mornings Mini cold start, started idled perfectly, slightly high, came down as the temperature of coolant warmed up. Long term fuel trim has dropped 5% too, short term trim, ECU pulling -10% fuel, ECU must be relearning

I've got some mechanicals to do, which weren't flagged as a fail but I wanted to get the leaks from the drive shafts sorted. I will dump the oil at the same time (aids drive shaft job), as its probably contaminated with excess petrol whilst running rich.

Top Bottom