Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doughnut

Veteran
Sounds good.

You will be riding with some very experienced guys - and gals - who will assist you in keeping a steady pace, which can be hard on your own.

I've not ridden with your lot, but I have ridden with riders of a similar calibre.

I was surprised by the distance riding knowledge I picked up just by observing how they do it, and by me doing more listening than talking.

For example, experienced riders seem to know instinctively where and when it's wise to push on a bit to gain extra miles without putting in too much extra effort.

Letting others do the thinking also makes for a more relaxing time for you.
Thanks. I'm keen not to hold people back at all, so I will be working hard to build up distance before the day. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the other riders. Only managed 35 miles yesterday, gave up as I lost all feeling in my toes with the cold. Got stopped by the police twice who were sorting out cars smashed into lampposts and advised to go home because of all the ice :smile:

In the New Year I might buy some clipless pedals, at the moment I just have normal pedals with clips on to slide my trainers in - reading on here it sounds like clipless pedals will make things easier (if I can avoid falling over)

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks. I'm keen not to hold people back at all, so I will be working hard to build up distance before the day. I'm sure I will learn a lot from the other riders. Only managed 35 miles yesterday, gave up as I lost all feeling in my toes with the cold. Got stopped by the police twice who were sorting out cars smashed into lampposts and advised to go home because of all the ice :smile:

In the New Year I might buy some clipless pedals, at the moment I just have normal pedals with clips on to slide my trainers in - reading on here it sounds like clipless pedals will make things easier (if I can avoid falling over)

Try not to feel too pressured about this. Looking at your strava you're doing 30 mile rides hillier than this one and considerably faster than my "budgeted" speed of 12mph. I suspect you could do it now if you wanted to but of course getting a few longer rides in prior to our day out will give you a bit more confidence in your own abilities. If you're getting tired on the day, start to visualise the Llandudno Pudding, Chips and Gravy. That should do the trick

This Summer I rode to Llandudno and it was a really great ride so I am floating the idea of something similar. If there's sufficient interest then I will organise and run it.

The idea is Manchester - Llandudno. Train back home. It's quite a long ride but...it's very flat and people could start somewhere other than Manchester if they felt it was a bit too long. The return train stops at Chester, Frodsham, Warrington, Newton le Willows.

What you get on the full ride is a lot of really nice quiet Cheshire lanes and a final 25 mile stretch right next to the sea on the N Wales coast. This was the highlight of the ride for me. The NCN coastal path is excellent.

The idea would be to start at Piccadilly so people could get there easily. It would be a full day. The plan would be a lunch stop. Then fish and chips in Llandudno and as many beers as you like. There are plenty of return trains to Manchester so folk could either leave quickly or stay for a bit.

Not sure if Saturday or Sunday would be better I am guessing Saturday is better for trains but maybe more people available Sunday?

We would ride at a nice friendly pace. No problem splitting into faster and slower groups. Faster riders can get the beers in.

Edit - there would be enough time to set off at 9am -ish so I hope it will not just be locals and this gives enough time for those from far-flung lands to get there

*** DATE FIXED - SATURDAY APRIL 25 ***

EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

gavroche
Martin Q
clid61
toeknee
I like Skol
rich p
KneesUp
bromptonfb
subaqua
Crackle
400bhp
4F
Freds Dad
wanda2010
fossyant
potsy
robjh
theclaud
McWobble
User13710
skudupnorth
dodgy
Exile
Nick Stone
Martin Archer
Pennine-Paul
sagefly +1
Cubist +1
Rickshaw Phil
Kestervan
BRounsley
The Brewer
Lilmo + 1
Gam001
Hicky
Shadowfax
doughnut
G3CWI

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6478867

View attachment 61932
Sounds a great ride.Count me in. Some old familiar names from Colin J's forum rides. Will be good to meet up again.

doughnut

Veteran
Thanks. Maybe my New Years resolution should be to stop thinking too hard and just enjoy the cycling (and the chips and gravy). wanda2010 - I will look out for you in April.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Clipless is a thread - or three - in itself.

They buy you very little extra in terms of power, but they do make you feel more part of the bike, which for a lot of riders improves the overall experience.

New shoes will be needed, you can get some that are more like ordinary trainers, good because you don't walk like a duck when you get off the bike.

If you do go clipless, do so sooner rather than later.

Inevitably, they take a bit of getting used to, and there's some trial and error adjustment to be done.

You want that process more or less over by the time you start this ride.

@doughnut
I am not far away from you and I am recovering from an accident earlier this year. When I am back on the bike, maybe we could do a few rides together? I know quite a few nice rides around your neck of the woods.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Count me in, sounds a cracking ride out.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi all please count me in as a probably depending on work commitments. The furthest I have done was @ColinJ forum ride in April this year and @Rickshaw Phil had to help me half way back but need something to encourage me to get off my a#$× and get in the saddle

This is longer but waaaaaay flatter. Find someone to ride behind to keep out of the wind and the miles will tick by no problem

david k

Hi
looks great but too far for me, if this is an open invite i may comssider joining half way, are there trains back to st helens from llandudnno

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
looks great but too far for me, if this is an open invite i may comssider joining half way, are there trains back to st helens from llandudnno

Definitely. I designed the ride to work that way. There are these options for "official" start points

1) Manchester Piccadilly - 97 miles
2) Altrincham - 86 miles
3) Marbury CP - 72 miles
4) Eureka Café - 47 miles
5) Bikehub, Rhyl - 20 miles

I'm sure we'll pick up some waifs and strays elsewhere too but for these places I will publish estimated arrival times when we get nearer the ride. I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest"

Last edited:
Top Bottom