Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Am thinking of one of the nearby Travelodge's anyone got any idea if you can get away with taking the bike in as I don't fancy locking it up outside somewhere overnight ???
Travelodges usually relaxed about bikes in rooms. My approach is to not mention it when booking.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just been out today for the first ride since mid December, and all i could think of as i puffed and panted over the moors into a 20+mph head wind at a massive 4mph, was "Who ate all the pies, Who ate all the pies" etc , and the film "The boy who stole Christmas" thinking they need to do a remake "Diddly Dodds has Eaten Christmas"
The 50mile ride to the top of Holme Moss was cut short to a 30mile slog over the moors.
Much slimming and riding needs to be done before April.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just been out today for the first ride since mid December, and all i could think of as i puffed and panted over the moors into a 20+mph head wind at a massive 4mph, was "Who ate all the pies, Who ate all the pies" etc , and the film "The boy who stole Christmas" thinking they need to do a remake "Diddly Dodds has Eaten Christmas"
The 50mile ride to the top of Holme Moss was cut short to a 30mile slog over the moors.
Much slimming and riding needs to be done before April.
I guarantee you that there is less climbing in the 97 miles to Llandudno that there was in your 30 mile ride today. It'll feel practically downhill all the way for a hard-man-of-the-hills like you

KneesUp

Guru
Can anyone recommend any good family camp sites (tent) nearby? I have a plan that involves OH putting the tent up while I ride :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Right. I'm in. I have booked the Travelodge. :smile:

Great stuff. When we all book in, I'll distract the receptionist with a long boring story about imperial centuries whilst you all surreptitiously wheel your bikes past

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The other bit of Essential Travelodge Advice, which I forgot to mention before, is Do Not Get Breakfast at the Hotel. So if anyone up there is scouting things out in the meantime, please check out decent breakfast spots and report back to the thread...

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Definitely. I designed the ride to work that way. There are these options for "official" start points

1) Manchester Piccadilly - 97 miles
2) Altrincham - 86 miles
3) Marbury CP - 72 miles
4) Eureka Café - 47 miles

I'm sure we'll pick up some waifs and strays elsewhere too but for these places I will publish estimated arrival times when we get nearer the ride. I'll stick you on the "Expressions of Interest"

H'mm, I really can't make up my mind which start point to use. The head says Eureka Cafe . . . the heart says somewhere else. I really need to get a few rides in, rather than the 12 miles a fortnight, that I usually do.

I'm sure I can get a lift in a car and get to Eureka or Marbury in about 40 minutes; Altrincham would take about an hour. The thing is, I've cycled with some of this bunch before . . . . . . ."it's just a social ride ." they'd say, and they'd then cycle off out of sight. The primary downside to all this, is that I'd arrive at the pub stops, just as they would be leaving ^_^.

Anyone starting in Alty or Marbury ?

Presumably, all those staying over in Llandudno, are going to have to also carry all their gear in panniers - the full 97 miles ? I'm not sure whether to stay the night in Llandudno and arrange to be collected the next morning - but I find the notion of carrying overnight stuff, rather off-putting . . . where would I put the guinness ? note to self - ask @rich p to carry it for me.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Don't be fooled be Pubbers' self-deprecation. He's impervious to upward gradient. The consolation is that he's a right wuss on the descents. A flattish ride should make all this of little consequence, evening everything out nicely and making for a nice sociable pace.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Don't be fooled be Pubbers' self-deprecation. He's impervious to upward gradient. The consolation is that he's a right wuss on the descents. A flattish ride should make all this of little consequence, evening everything out nicely and making for a nice sociable pace.

. . . .so says TC . . . who vanished out of sight on the Llandovery ride . . . I missed the first couple of rounds at the pub afterwards - not helped by the fact, that I didn't know which pub you were in.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
. . . .so says TC . . . who vanished out of sight on the Llandovery ride . . . I missed the first couple of rounds at the pub afterwards - not helped by the fact, that I didn't know which pub you were in.
The lengths some folks will go to to avoid getting the beers in!

Wobblers

Euthermic
H'mm, I really can't make up my mind which start point to use. The head says Eureka Cafe . . . the heart says somewhere else. I really need to get a few rides in, rather than the 12 miles a fortnight, that I usually do.

I'm sure I can get a lift in a car and get to Eureka or Marbury in about 40 minutes; Altrincham would take about an hour. The thing is, I've cycled with some of this bunch before . . . . . . ."it's just a social ride ." they'd say, and they'd then cycle off out of sight. The primary downside to all this, is that I'd arrive at the pub stops, just as they would be leaving ^_^.

Anyone starting in Alty or Marbury ?

Presumably, all those staying over in Llandudno, are going to have to also carry all their gear in panniers - the full 97 miles ? I'm not sure whether to stay the night in Llandudno and arrange to be collected the next morning - but I find the notion of carrying overnight stuff, rather off-putting . . . where would I put the guinness ? note to self - ask @rich p to carry it for me.

I'm planning on joining at the Eureka, given that it means I get a lie in, and it's just down the road (even if that road's the A540).

Of course, if you're worried about missing your round, you could always give us a tenner - you can be sure we'll spend it wisely. We'll even leave you a water bottle filled with beer! :smile: The question I'm pondering is: would it be sensible to cycle home after the pub session in Llandudno?

Top Bottom