Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
To save me some effort, where are those that are staying over in Llandudno going to be?
Ta
Travelodge seems most popular.

My plans to persuade the OH that this would be a chance for a weekend camping have been scuppered somewhat - I mentioned it again to her and it turns out she wasn't really listening the first time. Her reply this time was something like 'Camping in Wales in April? Chuff off!'

She may have a point

. Selection_013.png
Back to the drawing board for me.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Travelodge seems most popular.

My plans to persuade the OH that this would be a chance for a weekend camping have been scuppered somewhat - I mentioned it again to her and it turns out she wasn't really listening the first time. Her reply this time was something like 'Camping in Wales in April? Chuff off!'

She may have a point

. View attachment 76242
Back to the drawing board for me.

Worst case re arrangements is the last direct train from Llandudno Junction to Manchester (sorry don't know where you live) at 19.51 on a Saturday. There is another at 20.52 with a change at Crewe but might be a bit late back to Mcr. I'm thinking we should get to Llandudno about 18.30 (I was thinking 18.00 but that might be a bit ambitious) so giving just enough time for fish and chips and a couple of beers

Don't worry about the weather, I have put in an order for the day with Him Upstairs

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hard to believe at any time of year. Premier Inn is much nicer :smile:

It is but when I was looking Travelodge was £40, Premier Inn was £98. So it's either a booking system glitch (in which case give them a call) or loads of CCers have booked it solid

EDIT - I can still book a room @ £40 on the night in question, maybe they were having a system problem

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've just booked Helen and I into the Travelodge for £40. It looks like it's being refurbished (and probably not before time based on Travelodges I've seen).
The Premier Inn was £68 and it's further out of town.

Now I need to find us a cafe for the morning; I didn't opt for the "breakfast box".

doughnut

Veteran
I'm just booked Premier Inn for me and wife. Also, my wife says she will drop me off in the car at Piccadilly then head by car to Llandudno. Plans might change but if it works out like this then anyone with a rucksack can throw it in our car at Piccadilly before we set off and collect it at the other end.

BRounsley

Über Member
I was hovering over the Travelodge “book” button yesterday. I’ve now booked the twice the price Premier Inn.

If I can take you up on the offer to put a bag in the car that would be great.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . but if it works out like this then anyone with a rucksack can throw it in our car at Piccadilly before we set off and collect it at the other end

A very kind offer . . . . . . . Will you car have a trailer attached ? ^_^

doughnut

Veteran
I was hovering over the Travelodge “book” button yesterday. I’ve now booked the twice the price Premier Inn.

If I can take you up on the offer to put a bag in the car that would be great.

Me too - I do like those breakfasts at Premier Inn. There will be plenty room in the car for bags on the way there. Last time I was at Picadilly with the car, I seem to remember that you are only allowed to park for 20 mins, but should be plenty as long as I arrive at a suitable time - I'll work this out nearer to April.

A very kind offer . . . . . . . Will you car have a trailer attached ? ^_^

Haha, you're scaring me now - how big is your bag? It's a people carrier so I can get my bike in the back without taking it apart and I can take all the back seats out completely to make it even more roomy.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Me too - I do like those breakfasts at Premier Inn. There will be plenty room in the car for bags on the way there. Last time I was at Picadilly with the car, I seem to remember that you are only allowed to park for 20 mins, but should be plenty as long as I arrive at a suitable time - I'll work this out nearer to April.

Haha, you're scaring me now - how big is your bag? It's a people carrier so I can get my bike in the back without taking it apart and I can take all the back seats out completely to make it even more roomy.

It's not just my bag . . . after all, potentially there are 40 + doing this ride. :smile:

Plax

Guru
Looks like a great ride. I'd join if I wasn't in Spain on that date and if I didn't live locally anyway!

Word of warning - if there are several of you getting the train home with bikes be prepared for disappointment. Arriva are awful and usually only send three carriages (If it's from Holyhead by the time it gets to Llandudno Junction it's usually quite well populated). Virgin trains to London are usually a lot better. I've not taken my bike on the train often, but last time we were really lucky to get the only 2 designated cycle spaces (got the 4:57am train!), quite a few people got on with bikes, even at that time (to make short distances), particularly around Rhyl & Flint areas who had to stand between carriages with their bikes. One bloke just leant his against ours but that narrowed the aisle so if a pram or tea trolley came there would have been a problem. Also depends if you get a jobsworth conductor or not.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Looks like a great ride. I'd join if I wasn't in Spain on that date and if I didn't live locally anyway!

Word of warning - if there are several of you getting the train home with bikes be prepared for disappointment. Arriva are awful and usually only send three carriages (If it's from Holyhead by the time it gets to Llandudno Junction it's usually quite well populated). Virgin trains to London are usually a lot better. I've not taken my bike on the train often, but last time we were really lucky to get the only 2 designated cycle spaces (got the 4:57am train!), quite a few people got on with bikes, even at that time (to make short distances), particularly around Rhyl & Flint areas who had to stand between carriages with their bikes. One bloke just leant his against ours but that narrowed the aisle so if a pram or tea trolley came there would have been a problem. Also depends if you get a jobsworth conductor or not.

I've only gone Llandudno - Manchester with a bike once and my experience was the same. 3 carriage train so already busy by the time it got to Llandudno Junction. I'd booked a bike space so no problem for me but, like you, several cyclists got on and had to stand in the area between carriages.

Strictly speaking they are not obliged to allow bikes other than those with a prebooked place. They didn't enforce this when I travelled but I would encourage those getting the train back to book a space when they open up (presumably that is at 13 weeks like the tickets?)

Top Bottom