Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Now I'm curious about exactly what stuff you need for an overnight stay ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5RVXX7ERFXSDmeDppqyAQZeirObeerB60nZYOnmtr7C-rc12PYg.jpg

_38720671_pipeslippers_150.jpg

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm thinking about posting some stuff to the Llandudno Travelodge. Otherwise I'm on a Saturday nite out in tight lycra (I know, it wouldn't be the first time). Then I need phone chargers, toiletries and gubbins like that. I wonder if they would accept a parcel on my behalf? Otherwise it'd be a rucksack (don't own panniers). I'll give them a call and report back

There are definitely some down to start at Alty and Eureka. Marbury, I'm not sure. It's a bit in the middle of nowhere but makes a good stop-off point with toilets and a tea van. There is also this a couple of miles down the road for anyone interested in Victorian engineering - not on my official route but folk so minded could make a quick detour

The Anderton Boat Lift

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqu29g2NMKu07fgGUucgkB8e6XB77-Xyaqj_Y8hpSYF04rVhkaog.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm thinking about posting some stuff to the Llandudno Travelodge. Otherwise I'm on a Saturday nite out in tight lycra (I know, it wouldn't be the first time). Then I need phone chargers, toiletries and gubbins like that. I wonder if they would accept a parcel on my behalf? Otherwise it'd be a rucksack (don't own panniers). I'll give them a call and report back

Worth a try, although the Travelodges I've been are little more than a concrete box full of bedrooms - a bit like a cell block.

They probably have very little space to keep forwarded items, and no staff to look after the stuff.

A more traditional - and more expenive - hotel is more likely to help.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Can I put myself down as a possible for this one. Haven't worked out the logistics fully but currently have it in mind to do the full route.

Have you sussed out the logistics of this ride yet ? Is there a handy train from Shrewsbury ? I live just West of Oswestry. . . I'm considering cycling to the Eureka Cafe, but more likely, I think, might be starting from Altrincham or Piccadilly.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Have you sussed out the logistics of this ride yet ? Is there a handy train from Shrewsbury ? I live just West of Oswestry. . . I'm considering cycling to the Eureka Cafe, but more likely, I think, might be starting from Altrincham or Piccadilly.

Pricing looks a bit strange. Shrewsbury - Altrincham is £35, Shrewsbury - Mcr is £11. You have to change at Stockport to go to Alty, there is a direct train to Mcr. Altrincham logistics are better as you can get there at 09.47, just as we (hopefully) rock up there from Mcr on our bikes. Alternative train to Mcr gets in 08.10 giving you a bit of a wait at the station for everyone else (or you can set off at a dawdling pace it you prefer). Plenty of coffee shops, cafes etc at Mcr Piccadilly. Or you can have a bit of a ride around the city centre for half an hour, just watch out for the tram tracks which are a bit lethal for cyclists

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Still not decided for definite. When I mentioned being interested in this ride to my siblings they said they'd quite like a day out by the sea so the plan is to get a ride back with them. For the outward leg I haven't decided as I have the option of the train, a lift (which likely would make it an Altrincham start), or starting from home and riding up to the Eureka Cafe Just got to pick one.;)

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Coming from Shrewsbury I'd get off at Wilmslow (direct line, takes an hour) and ride to Altrincham, it's it five miles and would be quicker than changing. Cheaper as well.
I'm considering this ride, but will not know till nearer the time. I'd start from Altrincham.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Coming from Shrewsbury I'd get off at Wilmslow (direct line, takes an hour) and ride to Altrincham, it's it five miles and would be quicker than changing. Cheaper as well.
I'm considering this ride, but will not know till nearer the time. I'd start from Altrincham.

You're in. And congratulations on being the 50th "expression of interest". I should have sold tickets

pubrunner

Legendary Member
For the outward leg I haven't decided as I have the option of the train, a lift (which likely would make it an Altrincham start), or starting from home and riding up to the Eureka Cafe Just got to pick one.;)

I'm in the same situation as this ^^^; I don't feel inclined to cycle to the Eureka Cafe, 'cos I don't think I'd like roads that I might have to take . . . though perhaps @The Brewer might be able to comment on this. I don't know of any pleasant route I could take, especially from Wrexham and onwards. The A483 certainly isn't an option that I'd willingly take.

Whilst I can easily get a lift to Altrincham, I'm in two minds about pressing on to Piccadilly. After all, it ain't much further on - seems a shame to miss the Grand Départ. If I do get a lift to Alty, there may well be room on the cycle carrier (for your bike :smile: ) and space in the car - if you are struggling for transport. I'll have to check though, that no-one more local requires a lift - I wonder if @al-fresco might be interested in this jaunt or perhaps @Patrick Stevens - he might feel inclined to do this one, given that there are optional starting points . . . of course, the prospect of @User3094 attending, will considerably increase the list of entrants.

I've yet to work out, just how I might be returning home - I'm not sure whether or not, to stay over.

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm in the same situation as this ^^^; I don't feel inclined to cycle to the Eureka Cafe, 'cos I don't think I'd like roads that I might have to take . . . though perhaps @The Brewer might be able to comment on this. I don't know of any pleasant route I could take, especially from Wrexham and onwards. The A483 certainly isn't an option that I'd willingly take.

Whilst I can easily get a lift to Altrincham, I'm in two minds about pressing on to Piccadilly. After all, it ain't much further on - seems a shame to miss the Grand Départ. If I do get a lift to Alty, there may well be room on the cycle carrier (for your bike :smile: ) and space in the car - if you are struggling for transport. I'll have to check though, that no-one more local requires a lift - I wonder if @al-fresco might be interested in this jaunt or perhaps @Patrick Stevens - he might feel inclined to do this one, given that there are optional starting points . . . of course, the prospect of @User3094 attending, will considerably increase the list of entrants.

I've yet to work out, just how I might be returning home - I'm not sure whether or not, to stay over.
not knowing where in wrexham you will be arriving into I can't help with getting across wrexham but

Wrexham to Rossett through Gresford . ( the old A483 ) now known as B5445 used to ride it as a kid when it was the main wrexham chester route so its not a bad road now. rossett through Pulford to posthouse roundabout ( a bit hairy at the A483 /A55 junction but better into Chester) through Chester and out on Parkgate road A540 all the way to Eureka Cafe . if you have access to anything that can open a GPX file I will draw it on Map my ride later

Top Bottom