England : Greater Manchester Manchester-Sheffield on the snake, 9th June 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What a fab day. Met Dan_bo at Mottram and linked up with Nickyboy in Glossop before our 1st ascent of the Snake Pass. The weather was perfect, look at the colour of the sky at 9.30 in the morning at the top of the Snake..
snake1_zps11023c16.jpg

The other two caught up eventually :whistle:
snake2_zpseffce78c.jpg

After this it was time to get to Sheffield as we had a date with a café in Endcliffe Park. Clocked a good speed going down the back of the Snake but it was really hard work catching Dan_bo. He's just really good at descending, it's weird?

Nickyboy split off when we reached Crosspool on the outskirts of Sheffield as he had to head back early so Dan and me carried on to get a breakfast muffin at the café. Just as we were leaving I mentioned we had forgotten the CAKE! Never mind though because as we climbed out of Sheffield on the Ecclesall Road we passed a couple of girls selling home made cup cakes in their front garden to raise money for the RNIB. It would have been rude not to stop so of course we did. Strangely Dan and I both went for the cakes with the pink sprinkles on top and lovely they were too! We even tried to flag down a couple of passing cyclists to drum up more trade for them.

The rest of the ride went without incident. I think by the time we got back to Ladybower Dan had given his best but he did a sterling job of soldiering on and before we knew it we were sat in the beer garden of the Wagon and Horses at Mottram cutting sipping a cold pint. Dan complained that I was a bit of a shark and must do a lot more long distance riding than I admit to so I checked just to be sure and I did 70 miles on new years day, 45 miles later in Jan and a 32 mile loop around Holme Moss last month. Other than that it's just my 10 mile each way commute a few times a week.

Just to finish off here's a shot of Dan doing what he does best........
snake3_zps246ddcf0.jpg

Leaving everyone else behind on the downhills :thumbsup:

Looking forward to the next forum ride now, Southport anyone?

EDIT: Just for the record, he finished this ride without mechanicals or other problems!

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
That was the last time skolly saw my arse. Some rider.

Nice to meet you both- good ride nice people. Breathing out of my not insubstantial backside by the end though. Having a sit down and a pint *. Cheers.

*EDIT: and watching some world class downhilling.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Good ride, pity I had to miss out on the cafe stop and the cakes too.

I spent all my time either chasing uphill (Skol) or downhill (Dan). By the way there seems to be something strange about the photo on top of the snake. In place of the slim, racing snake nickyboy some middle aged fatty seems to have sneaked on. Suggest you edit him out or at least photoshop his gut

pubrunner

Legendary Member
So it's me, @I like Skol, @Cheshire Celt

For the full run.

Did the Celt do the ride ?

He doesn't seem to have been on the forum for a few weeks - which ain't like him.

Top Bottom