Michael Mason private prosecution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
but worryingly understandable.

Sorry, I don't find it in the least understandable, predictable but not understandable.

What the jury has said with its verdict, despite the resultant death of an innocent victim, is that Gail Purcell's driving was of an acceptable standard. That's a frightening message that should cause deep concern in everyone.

A judicial system that can allow such a perverse finding is truly broken and it strengthens my conviction that such cases cannot be entrusted to a jury.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Can the standard of a technical skill like driving be judged by a jury? Surely a driving instructor should be called as an expert witness and should indicate to the jury if based on the evidence the standard of driving was below that expected of a competent driver?

There doesn't seem to be a explanation of the arguments used to sway the jury, but the doctrine of "res ipsa loquitur" (the thing speaks for itself) would point towards carelessness at least. Or alternatively the jury were of a preset mind.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
And the fact that the jury apparently deliberated for just 17 minutes suggests that most of them had probably already made up their minds as soon as they heard the word "cyclist".

That, or the prosecution made such a hash of presenting their case that there was little left for the jury to discuss.

There doesn't seem to be a explanation of the arguments used to sway the jury

It would indeed be interesting to hear those arguments, together with any comments that may have been made to them by the judge about the burden of proof for a careless driving charge.

oldstrath

Über Member
Can the standard of a technical skill like driving be judged by a jury? Surely a driving instructor should be called as an expert witness and should indicate to the jury if based on the evidence the standard of driving was below that expected of a competent driver?
Driving examiner maybe, given the driving standard of some instructors I've seen, who mistake technical skill for safe driving.

DaveReading

No, how the jury decided is supposed to be confidential to them alone.

Though there is no restriction on reporting what has been said by the lawyers, judge and witnesses in open court. It just depends on whether the media think it will sell newspapers.

DaveReading

I assume that, having arranged the funding etc, that the cyclists' defence fund had people there.

Yes, I would think so.

We probably shouldn't anticipate them telling us that their barrister turned out to be rubbish, were that to be the case. :smile:

Buddfox

Veteran
Surely you'd fail your driving test if you mowed down a cyclist so would that not count as the acceptable level of driving?.

I never thought of it like this before, but that could be used as a useful measuring stick of what is considered careless driving, if you moved cases to a magistrates court (and therefore no jury). If you injure or kill someone whilst doing anything that would constitute a major fail on the driving test, you go to jail for 12 months and have a driving ban of whatever is the maximum duration allowable in a magistrates court.

Have they made any statement at all?

http://www.cyclinguk.org/press-rele...ing-cyclist’s-death-sees-car-driver-acquitted

Private prosecution for causing cyclist’s death sees car driver acquitted
Gail Purcell found not guilty by Old Bailey jury for causing the death of cyclist Michael Mason by careless driving.
Gail Purcell (58) of Colney Street, St Albans, was today (06 April) acquitted by an Old Bailey jury of causing the death of cyclist Michael Mason by careless driving.

Teacher Michael Mason was cycling north on Regent Street from Oxford Circus in London on 25 February 2014. At 6.23 pm Michael, known as Mick to his friends, was hit from behind by a black Nissan Juke driven by Ms Purcell, and as a consequence sustained a fatal injury to his brain, passing away 19 days later on 14 March having never regained consciousness.

This case was brought to court as a private prosecution by Cycling UK’s Cyclists’ Defence Fund (CDF), after the Metropolitan Police refused to refer the case to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for advice on whether to charge Gail Purcell with any offence, contrary to CPS guidance in fatal collision cases,

CDF brought this prosecution with support from over 2,000 people who donated more than £80,000 to help fund the case.

Throughout the case, Ms Purcell has been unable to offer any explanation as to why she failed to see Mr Mason as he cycled along Regent Street, illuminated by his bicycle lights and the surrounding street lights. CDF strongly believed that a jury should have the opportunity to consider the evidence, a view His Honour Judge Gordon accepted yesterday when he refused the application made on Ms Purcell’s behalf to dismiss the prosecution, accepting that there was a case which had to be put to the jury.

Anna Tatton-Brown, Michael Mason’s daughter, reacted to the jury’s decision saying:

“My family and I respect the decision the jury have reached, although we are obviously disappointed. It seems that failing to be aware of what’s in front of you while you’re driving is an acceptable mistake, not careless, and that no explanation for that failure is necessary.

“We do, however, draw some comfort from the fact that the evidence was finally put to a jury, something that should have happened long ago. It should not have taken the intervention of CDF, and the support of many members of the public, to bring this case to court. Given that the Judge accepted that there was a case which the jury had to consider, we would hope that the Police will now conduct a review into their investigation, their rush to blame the victim, their refusal to seek CPS advice, and consider what lessons might be learned.

“My family would once again like to express our sincere and grateful appreciation for all of the support we have received in our search for justice for my much-loved Dad.”

Duncan Dollimore, spokesperson for Cycling UK’s CDF, said:

“While we accept the jury’s decision, CDF are disappointed and concerned about the message this conveys to the general public regarding driving standards. Careless driving is supposed to be driving which falls below the standard expected of a competent and careful driver. If failing to see an illuminated cyclist on a well-lit road is not careless driving, and no explanation for that failure is required, that reinforces the arguments Cycling UK has made through our Road Justice Campaign for many years: namely the definition and identification of bad driving offences needs urgent review.

“Notwithstanding the jury’s decision, we believe it was right to bring this case to court given the Metropolitan Police’s unwillingness to do so. We do question why the Police failed to obtain witness evidence from relevant eye-witnesses which the legal team instructed by CDF were able to secure. If they had done so they would have recognised, as the Judge did yesterday, that this was a case which rightly had to be put before a jury. We believe they should review their investigation practices involving vulnerable road users, and their engagement with the victims’ families.

“Both CDF and Mr Mason’s family would like to thank all those people who supported this prosecution. Although we can only be disappointed at the result, we hope that this case demonstrates why we need to look closely at how the justice system serves the victims of road collisions and their families, and whether the standards applied to decide what is, or is not, careless or dangerous driving are fit for purpose.”

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I never thought of it like this before, but that could be used as a useful measuring stick of what is considered careless driving, if you moved cases to a magistrates court (and therefore no jury). If you injure or kill someone whilst doing anything that would constitute a major fail on the driving test, you go to jail for 12 months and have a driving ban of whatever is the maximum duration allowable in a magistrates court.

Death by careless is an either way offence so can be tried in magistrates' or crown court.

No guarantee Fred, Edna, and Harold on your local bench would come up with the automatic guilty verdict some on here seek.

Different court, but the law is the same, so they would still have to be satisfied so they are sure the driving fell below the standard of a competent and careful driver - on the basis of the evidence.

None of us heard the evidence in this case, but there may not have been a great deal of it, other than witnesses saying the defendant's car was driving along Regent Street with all the rest.

The family spoke afterwards of having found new witnesses.

Again, we don't know what they said, but I've heard nothing along the lines of 'the driver was holding a mobile/appeared distracted by something on the passenger seat/was swerving'.

The defendant may have given evidence on her own behalf, as she is entitled to do, but doesn't have to.

A jury would be told to assess such evidence carefully, but it may be an employed woman in her late 50s came over in the witness box as an honest and respectable citizen, making the jury inclined to believe her account - whatever that was.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I would be surprised if, were you to knock a cyclist off his bike while taking your driving test then say afterwards that you hadnt seen him and had no idea what had happened, you were permitted even to continue the test, let alone to pass it

Top Bottom