Microwaved Jacket Spuds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Vile.

The microwave is a decent thing but there are just some things that can't be sorted out..... even if it's a micro/grill contraption.

I ordered a spud today from the local cafe, with chilli and it was shite. :biggrin:

If you were to cook anything in a microwave, what would it be?

Apart from warming up last night's take-away of course. :tongue:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
snapper_37 said:

Apart from warming up last night's take-away of course. :biggrin:

Agree about the spuds :tongue:

I very rarely use the microwave, but do have oats so simple sometimes for breakfast & it's easier 1st thing in a morning to nuke it in the microwave than cook propper porrige.

Last night's take-away always gets eaten last night, so nothing to warm up :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
I sometimes give a spud 10 minutes in the michaelwave and then finish it off in the oven, much better results.

Other than re-heating my own cooking from out the freezer and making milk hot I don't think I use it for anything else.

People cook bacon in them :biggrin:

Night Train

Maker of Things
If I have baked spuds I will microwave them first to get them part cooked on the inside and then stick them in the oven.

I don't then to cook with a microwave, I just heat things up with it like soup or tinned rice pudding.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Soltydog said:
Agree about the spuds :biggrin:

it's easier 1st thing in a morning to nuke it in the microwave than cook propper porrige.

Agree on the spuds - micro is disgusting but porridge can only be cooked in a pan - only takes 5 minutes. Tried that oats-so-simple stuff once - friggin horrible :tongue:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
longers said:
I sometimes give a spud 10 minutes in the michaelwave and then finish it off in the oven, much better results.
:biggrin:

Which is what we do. You just don't expect to pay a few quid and the spud is shite :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blast spuds in microwave and finish off in oven - although best cooked in oven really - my baked were in the oven tonight - yum.... only an hour for a medium sized spud !

Good for warming milk.....

OK for frozen peas..very fast....

fossyant

snapper_37 said:
Which is what we do. You just don't expect to pay a few quid and the spud is shite :biggrin:

No, if out and about you should be getting proper oven spuds...

puddleglum

I do my scrambled egg in the microwave. It works, sort of, and saves scuzzing up a pan, thus avoiding creating dirty pots.

Mr Pig

snapper_37 said:

Never owned one. I've heard that if you put a toothpick in a microwave sparks come off the tip! So I'll say that :0)

Or a cat.

longers

Legendary Member
snapper_37 said:
Which is what we do. You just don't expect to pay a few quid and the spud is shite :biggrin:

There's good ones to be had on Glossop Market, they're proper ones, they take out the insides, mix it up with the fillings/s of your choice, pop it all back in and only charge a couple of quid or so.

If you're ever passing on a Saturday, the All Day Breakfast ones are good!

fossyant

Best ones I had were after a long ride out to see Crit racing in Shaw (Longers you'll know Shaw) - beans and spud..heaven...........

Maz

Guru
Good question, snapper. In our household the microwave is only ever used for heating stuff up!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a super-duper Panasonic microwave oven (and no real one). It uses a combination of microwaves, convection heating and grill on its jacket potato setting and it gets them to about 90% of the quality of real baking and that's near enough for me. It does very good baked sweet potatoes too... yum!

baked_sweet_potato.jpg

Top Bottom